Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung's Failings

(Topic created on: 07-03-2019 03:38 PM)
Remmiz
Explorer
Options

I would like to caveat this post with the information that I have been in contact with Samsung via Live Chat, Phone and Email and I cannot seem to reach a suitable resolution.  I am simply using this forum as a means to generate some interest and perhaps a response from management. 

I'm a Samsung Upgrade Programme customer, so like many others on this forum, I was disappointed when Samsung failed to build the 'Upgrade Lounge' straight after the launch event.  

I was eventually able to pre-order the S10+ on Thursday, not after some difficulty, so imagine my frustration when I received an email on Friday stating that I was now eligible to upgrade, and that I qualified for £50 off the cost of the phone.  Marvellous.  I emailed and asked if the £50 could still be taken off/refunded - whatever - but was told I could not.  Michelle gave me a £50 voucher code for use in the Samsung online store.  Not ideal, and I still feel I'm being penalised for Samsung's failure to send the email in time, but fine. 

My nephew is also a Samsung Upgrade Customer and he received the same email and asked the same of the agent dealing with his query, and that is when the wheels really came off.  On asking for his tracking details, the agent provided him with a link.  When clicking this link, it takes him to someone else's order details entirely - the order number, name, delivery address, billing address, phone number, last four digits of the card used and its expiry date.  On expressing his horror at this, the agent excused it by stating, "There's been a high volume of emails today" - which reassures us not! - and the agent stated that she had phoned the unsuspecting customer. 

I made contact with the customer myself, and she had not been made aware - so Samsung lied.

I made the agent dealing with my request aware of this breach, as well as Samsung's Twitter representatives.  The Twitter reps suggested that I should email the Samsung Data Protection team, which I have done. 

I have requested that my pre-order be cancelled.  It's been such a saga from the very beginning - what with Samsung failing to prioritise their loyal customers on the Upgrade Programme - and now resulting in me not feeling that my details are safe in Samsung's hands.  I appreciate that no internet connection/website etc. is ever truly safe - but the unsuspecting customer's details weren't encrypted in any manner (no password to access.)  

Unfortunately, Samsung state that they are unable to cancel my pre-order and refund me the £90 deposit I paid to upgrade.  This has been escalated but it has now been several days and I have not received a satisfactory response.  

This is a word of warning to all Samsung customers; your details may not be safe!  This is a huge shame as I have been a Samsung customer since the S3 and I really do like the look of the S10+, but my trust has gone, and no amount of placating 'reassurances' will reassure me now. 

9 REPLIES 9
Chrisballinger
Pioneer
Options

Wow that's terrible, I would be tempted to contact trading standards that's not acceptable, for all I know someone out there has all my details. My confirmation email got sent to "pay4laterguest@mail.com" and to this date no one at Samsung can explain why that is, just keep swerving the question, gave up trying to get someone on the phone. Surely If your pre order was within 14 days then the distance selling law applies and you are within your rights to cancel

0 Likes
Remmiz
Explorer
Options

Hi Chris,

Yes - it is absolutely abhorrent; especially from a company as huge as Samsung! It still hasn't been 14 days since I pre-ordered, so you'd think I was in the period where I CAN cancel, but it appears nobody is willing/able to help. Perhaps Trading Standards is the way forward, thanks for the tip. 

I'm in contact with the customer whose details were leaked and she's considering her options. 

The 'pay4laterguest' email also popped up when I eventually got my order through, but I did receive confirmation to my actual email address too. It is laughable (well, it's that or I'd cry!) that Samsung cannot give a solid answer on this. It feels as though they're being deliberately obtuse so that we give up. I can see through this, though, and I won't allow it to be swept under the carpet. 

0 Likes
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Not a good Experience at all @Remmiz 

Personally I buy my phones from Samsung outright as I find the upgrade programme not to my taste. 

In regards to cancelling I've dug up this....

From Samsung.com/uk/upgradelounge/terms

6. YOUR RIGHTS.

a) cancel the new credit agreement with Klarna Bank AB within the 14-day withdrawal period provided for in the new credit agreement; and

(b) cancel your order of the new Samsung Galaxy S10 handset for a full refund of your deposit during the 28-day cooling off-period provided for in our standard Terms and Conditions of Sale. "

I'm sure the Samsung Team here will after reading your thread send all the feedback to the appropriate Department(s) too.

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

Remmiz
Explorer
Options

Hi BoB,

Thank you for your reply.  

I appreciate your comment regarding purchasing outright.  I had done this in the past, but with the Upgrade Programme being interest-free, I figured there was no reason not to do it.  After all, it held so much promise - especially with taking away the hassle of upgrading every year! 

I'm really grateful for you bringing up the terms and conditions surrounding cancellation.  I'll be sure to mention them to the Samsung agents.  It was suggested that I could refuse the delivery and the phone would be returned to the warehouse and then I'd be refunded.  What a long and protracted way in which to sort out a very simple issue.  It just doesn't make business sense.  I would also be concerned that this could affect my credit rating with Klarna in some way.  

Hopefully this will get escalated, but with the way things are moving, it's looking unlikely it'll be sorted before Friday.  

Thanks again.

0 Likes
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

You're very welcome @Remmiz 

The process of refusing delivery I think would only come into play if the phone was already in despatch status so couldn't be stopped.

Even then I'd want some documentation from the delivery driver and I'd be taking a time and date stamped photo of the sealed package and one of their Van's registration number.

Your Credit Score would naturally recover after 90 days from the initial credit check.

Applying for, being accepted and then cancelling or returning a phone wouldn't affect your Credit File in anyway.

If your concerned then Experian offer a free trial to get a copy of your Credit File. Just remember to cancel the subscription after the free trial to stop being charged a monthly subscription fee if you do not wish to continue. 

The Samsung Agents should know their own process to be honest but it's possible you were engaged with an agent who wasn't clued up on the process or is new to the role.

I wish you all the best with this situation. 

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

0 Likes
Remmiz
Explorer
Options
Thank you for the information again, you've been of great help.

I've dealt with a number of Samsung agents and supposed management throughout this debacle and none have filled me with confidence. I've even sent a message, supposedly, to the CEO via the Samsung site. You'd think and hope someone would know the facts here - perhaps you should work for Samsung!
Explorer_1989
Explorer
Options

Hello @Remmiz,

The episode you shared really concerns me. I want to talk to you about this. Can we have a discussion on this over email or Twitter DMs? 

0 Likes
Remmiz
Explorer
Options
Hi Explorer, I've sent you a private message on here.
0 Likes
Kriegar
Explorer
Options

You aren't the only one who has had the misfortune of dealing with Samsungs truly horrendous customer support. It really is the worst customer support experience I have ever had to go through to the point that I won't be buying another Samsung product out of principle.

Maybe we should all put in complaints to trading standards and BBC watchdog to expose just how horrific it truly is.

0 Likes