Support

Open search

Picture Size

Highlighted

On the s10 camera menu on the top, there's picture aspect setting [3/4]. Press that will allow you to select [3:4], [1:1], [6:19], [Full].

Highlighted
Apprentice

The way to get the full 12MP on your S10 is to choose 4:3 ratio. It's actually a little over 12MP. If you choose Full - it's talking about the correct aspect ratio to fit your entire (full) screen. That turns out to be 9.1MP.

If you take a shot at each aspect ratio you'll be able to swipe each photo upwards, when viewing it, to see the pixel size it was shot at. HTH

Highlighted

I had the same issue. Took it to a shop but the guy said he is an Iphone user so didn't know. Don't know why he works selling phones.  I worked out its the options of aspect at the top. Ie 4:3h shows you the res it will use. Play with different settings and see the photo size you get

Highlighted
First Poster

You can get picture sizes from about 300KB to 900KB by using the Instagram mode instead of Photo mode, on my S10e. The downside is you're stuck in portrait orientation.  But at least you have smaller file sizes when you need it. Shame on Samsung for inability to change resolution in whatever aspect ratio. 

Highlighted

Yes , shame for samsung. I have s8+, note 9, and s10+. In room condition, standar shoot, my s8+ and note9 way more better quality foto than s10+.. its shame shame shame..  except if use night mode, s10+ more better..

Highlighted
Apprentice

Hi guys,

I just finally updated from S7 to S10. And I too just discovered that there is no option to amend reolsution like there had been on my S7.

Can we assume that this is the case permanently? 

Highlighted
Apprentice

That is weird, what are you finding inferior about the S10+? I have the S10 and an S8+ and the S10 is significantly better.

I did comparison tests when I first bought the S10, but I just did another quick test now. I photographed a set of containers used for storing spices, or sugar, coffee etc. They are pure white with an intricate, very fine blue pattern on them. The S10 image is much much sharper and brings out the fine details far better. The S8+ has a shallower depth of field as the focal length is longer than the normal camera on the S10 and it may have a faster aperture (I can't remember what each camera has in terms of aperture). In terms of colour, the auto-white balance on the S10 is doing a better job than the S8+. The containers are in a yellowish light and the S8+ image looks identical to the real objects "in that light", as though the WB was set to daylight, but it isn't. However, the whole purpose of auto-white balance is to correct colours to look how they would look in neutral lighting. The S10 shows the white containers as white, which is what they really are. The blue looks more accurate too.

There is no doubt that the S10 cameras are a big jump up from the camera in the S8+ in terms of sharpness, detail and colour accuracy.

Highlighted
Apprentice

What are you saying? It has already been discussed in this thread that you can change the resolution depending on what aspect ratio you choose. If you want the full 12MP of the S10, for example, then you have to shoot in 4:3 ratio, as that is the aspect ratio of the image sensor. Anything other than 4:3 has to crop into the image to provide the aspect ratio you desire. E.g. 16:9 or even 3:2 are slimmer formats (less square) than 4:3. You cannot extend the number of physical pixels to change the aspect ratio, you can only crop into what is actually there.

So yes, we can close this matter and agree that the camera 'does' offer varying resolutions based on aspect ratio.

Highlighted
First Poster

I think there is a misunderstanding and my original post was from last year. The Camera settings allow you to set the resolution of the video from front and rear cameras, but you can not set the resolution for photos, which you could do on S7 Edge that I previously owned.

Highlighted
Apprentice

@Jasonrburgess wrote:

I think there is a misunderstanding and my original post was from last year. The Camera settings allow you to set the resolution of the video from front and rear cameras, but you can not set the resolution for photos, which you could do on S7 Edge that I previously owned.

That is exactly how I understood your message. This is what I was wantign clarity about as well. As with all my previous samsung phones, there was always an option to set resolution for photos.

But it seems that what people are saying is that with S10 & others the removal of that function is deliberate because the aspect ratio is now connected to resolution as a default. Is that corret @cooloox? If that is the case then understood but I am sure you can appreciate that this is a significant change for those who are used to having both functions present.

A general question also is how does samsung manage to keep the file sizes so small even for 4:3 ratio pictures? 

Top Liked Authors