Support

Open search

Calling All Left-handed People! Thoughts & Suggestions on Smartphone Navigation?

Highlighted

Hi all,

A suggestion came in from an S10+ user via our Mobile Tech Support team:

"Customer called regarding wanting the alphabet icon on the contacts moving from the right hand side of the device to the left hand side. this is due to the customer been left handed and struggling to scroll through the contact list on his S10+"

Pic of the 'alphabet icon' that user was talking about:

S10_Contacts.JPG

I'm not left-handed myself, but got me thinking if this struggle is something more of you left-handed folks out there experience - and not just with the Contacts app. :thinking-face:

So, please share your experiences, thoughts and suggestions on this in this thread! :smiling-face::thumbs-up-sign-emoji-modifier-fitzpatrick-type:

Say "Hello!" to the Community in The Introduce Yourself Thread.

21 REPLIES 21
Highlighted
Explorer

Another left-hander here.

Main problem I have with any phone is the scrolling part with the left hand - there's too many "catches" down the left hand margin that prevents smooth scrolling. A great example is facebook - you can't scroll facebook left handed without liking every other damned post. A second problem is the physical location of the buttons on the side - but this would be too much trouble hardware-wise ot move around. And finally, it's impossible to get a case for the Note 10+ that is left-handed - they all open to the wrong side!

Other minor irritations - on the Note10, the Air Command menu always appears on the right when removing the stylus which is an awkward position - would be nice to be able to configure it left. Also, in settings, the enable buttons for any settings are always on the right - this would be interesting for them to be on the left. In the music app, having the play buttons on the left rather than the right would be useful too. Oh, and all my landscape photos appear upside down in Gallery because of the way/direction I instinctive rotate the camera on its side when taking a photo!

On the positive side, leave the menu at the top left for all the apps where it is today (eg if you go into email app, the accounts menu is top left).

But overall, I've got used to living with right-handed phones. Use the right hand to hold the device, left hand to scroll, etc.. No point in trying to do it one-handed with the left hand. I'm also not too fussed about moving things around such as the "three dots" or reversing the contacts layout - I'm sort of used to it now and visually it makes more sense to me to leave it where it is. But I agree it would be an interesting menu in settings to allow some left-handed functionality.

For the Galaxy series, a left-handed option would be interesting from Samsung's marketing point of view. It would be something unique in the smartphone world, and since 10% of the world's population is left-handed, Samsung would suddenly open up a new market segment for themselves and potentially attract new customers from other smartphone competitiors - especially Apple (whose phones are even worse to use left-handed)..

Highlighted
Apprentice

@d8smt wrote:

Other minor irritations - on the Note10, the Air Command menu always appears on the right when removing the stylus which is an awkward position - would be nice to be able to configure it left. 

Are you talking about the floating circle icon that comes one when you take out the pen? I think you can drag that with the pen to make it appear next time on the other side

Highlighted
Explorer

No.. The actual menu that pops up when you take the own out. Always appears bottom right in orientation.

Highlighted
First Poster

I'm bi-handed, so not really having issues. Just with the s-pen position but i got used to it after 5 years of use.

Currently Note 9, my ex mobile Note 3

Highlighted
Apprentice

I am left handed and I have no issues at all. It is all in one's mind, I can use my both hands when using my smartphone

Highlighted
Explorer

Hey, 

@AntS

I turned on force RTL layout and everything switched over. All the apps and settings. Contacts icons are on the right and the vertical alphabet is on the left. I really wonder if it would look and feel completely natural to someone who has always been left handed. 

Developer options, force RTL layout.

Best regards, 

CLF 

Apprentice
Hi CLF,
Thanks for the response. I might have a play with that, but as I am so used to scrolling with my right hand etc it might feel strange. But I do use my left hand for typing. But still worth having a go to see.
Thanks Booboo.
Highlighted
Explorer

Hey, 

@Booboo

Thanks, 

I find this topic really interesting. I'm switching back and forth in short intervals. Trying to adjust my hand eye coordination. A work in progress to be sure. 

Thanks again, 

CLF 

Highlighted
Explorer

I'm left-handed, I mostly work with a stylus and I don't care which side of alfovit. but to have a laptop phone for left-handers (mirror-keys on the other side and a stylus) would be nice. but if not, I will not be upset.

Highlighted
Observer

Yeah!!!!  Someone who gives a flip about us.  I would love to have the option of features being left-handed friendly. If you think about it the world is built for right-handed people.  I would be willing to test any products for lefties. 

Top Liked Authors