Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

YouTube background player no longer showing in notification bar

(Topic created on: 26-11-2021 10:42 AM)
PlannedObsolescence
Journeyman
Options
I have YouTube premium and whenever I would close the app I could still play and pause the video to play the sound in the background via the notification bar, i.e. I could swipe down from the top of the screen and control my currently playing YouTube video.

Recently, following the recent update, this has stopped and no longer shows in the notification bar. I can still play picture-in-picture but it doesn't show in the swipe down bar itself.

Yes, I have all notifications switched on, yes YouTube is allowed to play in the background and no it is not limited via power saver. I've tried EVERYTHING!! Read forum after forum and nothing, no solution. I've cleaned cache, cleared data, uninstalled, reinstalled, restarted my phone. Everything. Still it doesn't show. Other apps show like SoundCloud for example. But no longer YouTube following the Samsung security patch update.

Could somebody help please?

Thank you in advance.
29 REPLIES 29
mccormit095
First Poster
Options

I had the same issue for MONTHS and it was driving me insane. In the past I would just drag the PIP screen down to "remove" it from my screen and the video would continue to play in the background and the notification bar controls would be there. At some point an update happened and everything changed.  BUT I found the fix (at least for my s22 ultra). With the picture in picture YouTube window playing tap it and you will see a little headphone icon appear in the lower right corner. I clicked that and the video minimized, continued to play on the background seamlessly, and the notification panel controls were there and good to go!  Maybe this will help someone else too I freaking hope.

Screenshot_20221221_004208_One UI Home.jpg

Screenshot_20221221_004747_Gallery.jpg

Yannie
First Poster
Options

Same here, this is so annoying!!

0 Likes
Vitaliia
First Poster
Options
  • I faced the same issue on my s20 with one UI 5 
0 Likes
ThatFuelGirl
First Poster
Options

This issue was driving me crazy for weeks. It seemed to come out of nowhere (it didn't happen directly after an update). Finally I decided I should try uninstalling the app. It turns out I couldn't uninstall YouTube but I could disable the app. The problem was instantly fixed after disabling and enabling the app. 

I know this is an older post but I hope this helps someone!

0 Likes
Devyn1
First Poster
Options

Thank you sooo sooo much!!!! Post this screen shot on every forum. I have changed and reset my settings so many time, for no reason. The solution was in my face the entire time!!!

0 Likes
SirDabsAlot
First Poster
Options

Hey so I have the same issue but just found the issue causing this. (Galaxy s20+) so I have had it happening for like a year almost and I just started ***** with everything to find out why they vanished. Welllllll come to find out they apparently cannot be used if you have the picture in picture setting turned on. When I had the pip setting on and swiped the app notification bar down it would show the grey line and if i clicked it the controls would show for a microsecond before the app came up, i also noticed if i went into the setting in the app when a song was playing and hit home buttom it wouldnt open the pip mode and the conteols would be there. However As soon as I turned pip mode off the background play started working again as well as the notification bar had the controls again even without swiping it down. So apparently we can't have the best of both worlds unless we do the extra step of going to the the setting menu in the app before closing it. If you don't want to have to go into setting then close to turn off the pip mode go into yt click tour profile picture in the top right go to settings then click general and go down to the pip and turn it off. I hope this was the answer you were looking for as it was a huge bother to me not having the controls on its notification. I hope you have a great and prosperous year.

0 Likes
avxmac
First Poster
Options

Thank you so much 

0 Likes
Members_ItsVmP4
First Poster
Options

THANK YOU! ❤️❤️❤️

0 Likes
TomasK88
Apprentice
Options

Hello, I have similar problem.

So I have YouTube premium, listen music in background and when I tap with finger on this minimized video screen, media buttons not shows. Before severals days everything was fine.

So i turned off YouTube in app settings, uninstalled all updates, turned on and problem not fixed. Tried several times.

What to do? In phone settings dont make any changes.

Phone S22 ultra with newest soft update

Screenshot_20240311_233653_Samsung Internet.jpg

csinpat
First Poster
Options

1000000792.jpg

1000000794.jpg

0 Likes