Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

YouTube background player no longer showing in notification bar

(Topic created on: 26-11-2021 04:26 PM)
PlannedObsolescence
Journeyman
Options
I have YouTube premium and whenever I would close the app I could still play and pause the video to play the sound in the background via the notification bar, i.e. I could swipe down from the top of the screen and control my currently playing YouTube video.

Recently, following the recent update, this has stopped and no longer shows in the notification bar. I can still play picture-in-picture but it doesn't show in the swipe down bar itself.

Yes, I have all notifications switched on, yes YouTube is allowed to play in the background and no it is not limited via power saver. I've tried EVERYTHING!! Read forum after forum and nothing, no solution. I've cleaned cache, cleared data, uninstalled, reinstalled, restarted my phone. Everything. Still it doesn't show. Other apps show like SoundCloud for example. But no longer YouTube following the Samsung security patch update.

Could somebody help please?

Thank you in advance.
29 REPLIES 29
GingerSteve
Helping Hand
Options

I can't find the delete button for my comment, so I edited to this.

When you swipe down to access the quick panel / notification panel, do you see 2 tabs under the quick panel icons labelled "media" and "devices" ?  

PlannedObsolescence
Journeyman
Options
Hi mate,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes I still see them both.
0 Likes
GingerSteve
Helping Hand
Options

Have you double checked the notification settings are set to show all notifications ?

Settings > Notifications > Advanced Settings and make sure the option is set to show all ?

I know you said the YT app itself is set to show all notifications , but have you gone in to the phones own settings?

GingerSteve
Helping Hand
Options

Otherwise, do you have a spare android device you can log into with the same Google account and install YT app to check it's behaviour on a different device ? then that way you are checking the app with the exact same details / log in , etc 

GingerSteve
Helping Hand
Options

There is also a 3rd way to access a section of the notification settings.

Screenshot_20211126-163250_Settings.jpg

Screenshot_20211126-163302_Settings.jpg

Screenshot_20211126-163329_Settings.jpg

PlannedObsolescence
Journeyman
Options
Hi mate,

Yes I have all notifications switched on and I have checked via your messages and they are all switched on. The funny thing is that I went to the lock screen and access media there, YouTube was showing but there was no title and it was just a play button, so I pressed it and it then said there is an error with the app. I think it was more a generic message though, either way the phone and app are no longer communicating correctly with each other since I updated my device. I might try and find an older YouTube APK and revert back to see if there is any difference.

Have you seen any others experience this issue, including yourself?
PlannedObsolescence
Journeyman
Options
Yes I have a very old Motorola Android phone but it's not been used in about 2 years so I'd have to update the phone itself and then get the latest YouTube app. But surely others would be experiencing the issue too though no?
0 Likes
GingerSteve
Helping Hand
Options

Unfortunately I am all out of ideas then mate, sorry.

And I haven't had a new update for my device yet, and currently no issues as such (yet) 

YT is a google app and I find they are the most buggy , so I usually now just use YT web browser version and set the browser to desktop for background play 

PlannedObsolescence
Journeyman
Options
Well I appreciate your help and I've managed to fix it now. I reverted back to a really early YouTube app version and then I got the bar back. I then just updated normally again and it somehow stayed this time (about 5th time lucky lol). Very strange. Just hope it stays this time.

Cheers mate