Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

What are the supported bluetooth audio codecs of my Exynos Galaxy S10?

(Topic created on: 24-05-2020 05:07 PM)
Bruhboi
Apprentice
Options

Hi All!

I am aware that the Snapdragon version of the Galaxy S10 series has the codecs SBC and aptX. However, I am speculating that the Exynos version doesn't have aptX because aptX is by Qualcomm. So I just want to confirm whether the Exynos version has aptX or not. If not, does it have another codec that I'm not aware of? 

0 Likes
Go to solution
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options

@ezGenesis wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

I have avrcp with the scalable.codec. i cam change both avrcp version and codec from dev options

As I said before, so can I… But if you do that, connect a headset, paly something and go back you will see that the codec has reverted back to SBC… I have no idea why you bring up AVRCP over and over again, it has nothing to do with sound codecs??

Is it your purpose to not admit that you are wrong, I thought this forum was to help others?

I have hade my S10 for over a year, and ever sins I got it I have been hoping for Samsung to start paying for the license for aptX to QUALCOMM or LDAC to Sony, but they don’t.

The US S10 with a snapdragon supports this, because it’s a QUALCOMM chip, but Exynos do not.

Sorry to see that someone in Samsung’s forum is fooling people, just because he does not want to be wrong or admit he does not understand the tech.

Make a YouTube clip where you show the dev. Options while playing something over bt…

Sade…

Think whatever you want lol. If i connect my buds to my phone i can change to codec and the codec remains what i have set.

If the device you connect does not support the codec you have set it will change the codec to one which works.

Try it for yourself.

Bye

0 Likes
Bruhboi
Apprentice
Options

I don't know about your S10 device, but recently I turned on developer options and used aptX and AAC. It reverted back to SBC the first few times, but eventually stuck with aptX/AAC without reverting back to SBC. I don't know whether this is due to an update or not, but I'm not facing the same issue that you are. Regardless, thanks for your reply! You have given me more insight into the matter.

0 Likes
dezske
First Poster
Options

Hi Fellas!

Let me add my two cents. I'm a guy who's concerned about sound quality. Last time when I received a Samsung A8 as company phone I bought myself a Sony Xperia XZ1 compact because I couldn't stand the A8's headphone output. Now I rushed to get a replacement for the A8 while the S10+ was an option, as the S20 has no jacks anymore, and who knows whether Samsung will put it back on the S30 series. (Does anyone read this from Samsung market research?)

The Sony played very nicely over the Dali Katch. Whenever it connected, a bubble popped up and said something about AptX. I did no blind testing but my impression was that standard Bluetooth sound somehow mushy compared to AptX, by which I mean that there is somehow less resolution in the highs and transients aren't as sharp. That's roughly the same difference I imagine to hear in my car when I connect via standard Bluetooth instead of cable and Android Auto.

Now the S10+ says just nothing when it connects to the Dali. Quite annoying, as the Sony did and even my daugher's Honor 20 lite, which costed a FRACTION of an S10+, connects to the Dali via AptX and even displays this transparently under the BT settings.

I googled around and found this discussion here, amongst others. I went to the developer menu and switched from SBC to AptX while the Dali were connected. Then I disconnected. Then it looked bad because the menu showed SBC when I entered again. When the phone was not connected via BT, it just went back to SBC when I reopened the menu.

Now the good news are the following:

(1) When I connect the Dali and go then to the developer menu, it shows now AptX. Hurray!

(2) Interestingly, my wife's S9 showed AptX already after the first connection to the Dali.

(3) The AptX page lists Samsung S9 as a phone with AptX support although it too comes in Snapdragon and Exynos editions. https://www.aptx.com/products/samsung-galaxy-s9

This page lists no S10 or S20. I'm not sure whether it is because it is out of date or for a different reason.

Of course I have no ultimate means to verify whether this settings are just displayed on the UI or also really take effect in the BT protocol stack. At least it will have a placebo effect on my ears. 🙂

0 Likes
dezske
First Poster
Options

I have just checked and the funny thing is: even the A8 reports AptX in the dev menu when I connect it to the Dali. So either my previous perception of the A8 sounding mushier over the Dali Katch is pure imagination or the A8 silently supports AptX, although no specs page says that (as opposed to the S10+).

0 Likes
dezske
First Poster
Options

Or maybe it is related to the Android 8 or 9 update which the A8 has undergone since I have it.

0 Likes
xerAnjelo
First Poster
Options

Dude someone has been trying to tell you the truth UPFRONT!. s10+ Exynos version is stuck to SBC codec. This is due to its software and hardware limitation using Exynos chipset.  I very well know this fact since i own the same phone and tried numerous ways to get out of this curse to no avail. 

0 Likes
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options

you need a bluetooth headset which supports aptx to be able to select aptx and not have it change to ldac or aac

0 Likes
rooksFX
First Poster
Options

How to turn on APTX and LDAC on exynos S10 - Samsung Members

S10 Exynos does support APTX and LDAC. Some people here may have lemon units and that's why they cannot use other BT Codecs.

0 Likes
Arjun 818
First Poster
Options

Found out that today, thanks

0 Likes