Did you mean: 

Original topic:

Undeniable permissions

(Topic created on: 01-06-2020 07:26 PM)
Ellis3
Journeyman
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

I get that Samsung put a boat load of bloatware on their phones. I also get that they make it difficult (now impossible) to remove these apps.

What I find completely unacceptable is that not only can you not uninstall or disable many of these but also you cannot in any way deny any of the permissions they have.

Bixby voice (one example, but there are many others) currently has permissions for my contacts, location, microphone, SMS, storage and telephone. I cannot uninstall Bixby. I cannot disable it. If I try to change permissions the Deny button is greyed out with the message that "Device requires this permission to operate".

I use my phone for personal use and work. For the latter it is essential that I have control over which apps are installed on my phone and what permissions they have. It is unacceptable to have pre-installed apps for which you cannot control permissions. No matter how honorable Samsung may be, no matter how secure their servers are, no matter how much they tell me they won't abuse my personal data in any way, this is not acceptable.

Furthermore, for an international company, they won't honor their international warranty (https://www.samsung.com/sec/support/guarantee/InternationalWarranty/). I bought the phone abroad whilst on a trip but now use it in Europe. Returning it to the shop I bought it from is not an option and Samsung will not allow international returns.

Unless something changes dramatically in the very near future (which is unlikely) I am left with the option of restoring factory settings and trying to sell the phone (which is pristine and only 10 days old) or rooting it and trying to disable the various Samsung apps that way. Either way, its a real shame as the S10 plus is an otherwise amazing device.

Samsung should concentrate on the hardware and ignore their mostly useless and intrusive compulsory bloatware.

19 REPLIES 19
Angryuser
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

Might I suggest you recheck your permissions then? The January update (at least for my S9+ in the US) made them mandatory and gave no user notice (that I could find at least).

pissedoff1
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

I am super pissed off. I spent a hour talking to Samsung, them telling me that this new update and then not letting you deny permissions for their apps is needed to make your phone work. Bixby is needed to make the system work. I asked them how come a month ago I was able to delete a core bixby app so it won't work and my phone actually ran better and my batter lasted twice as long. Now that they are massively stealing my intellectual property my battery went from 24+ hours to 4 hours. My connectablity bars show false reading so they can hide the amount of service they are using to transmit that data to their farms. My a50 is horrid now. And they not only lied saying it has to be to make the system work they refused to delete or give me permission to delete their apps. Go into your security certificates and look at who has root access. This is crazy, China financial and Japan something or other and 100 other questionable ententies have root permission to your device, super user acseesablity, while you only have 10% of accessablity to your device. And their legal disclaimer is still claiming you have access to deny permissions. Think right now phone by use is at a all time high, they are actively gobbling up massive amounts of data so they can analize and use to make alot of money in the future, they are using a time were no one is paying attention to cooperate illegal activity. They know what they are doing. And they are not compensating you for YOUR intellectual property, they actually are taking away from you, giving you less and less as they take more and more. Samsung has fallen people, be aware cooperate greed. And it is completely ruining their devices, your battery is not bad, their software is using it at a alarming rate, they are using it to collect everything they can and to transmit it to their property so when they have to they can quick fix ***** and deny they have it while making millions on corona data. Welcome to the corona data wars.

Ellis3
Journeyman
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

Yes, I agree.

I generally love my Samsung phone. Compared to my previous phone (iPhone XS) it is better in most ways but the undeniable permissions is a deal breaker for me. I know Apple aren't perfect but (maybe naively) I trust them more and believe that their phone security is simply better than their competition.

I also agree with what you said about the battery. My S10+ has inexplicably become noticeably more power hungry in the last few weeks. It was bought new in December and by the end of the day would go from around 90% in the morning to about 40% at bed time. Now I'm down to 20% when I leave work (around 5 to 6pm) and I have to charge it in the evening just to get it to last the day.

Samsung have my money but they won't get it again...

0 Likes
Nebo
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

Big brother..You buy the phone but they control it. This is our new world unfortunately, No privacy. 

0 Likes
Nathan13
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

It says no permissions at app screen but when I click all permissions it shows camera , account and voice but with no toggle option

0 Likes
calshamus
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

I just discovered this and if not resolved soon, this IS a deal breaker.

Estabro
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

I figured out how to do it!!! They did a good job hiding it. Open settings, go to apps. Go to bixby voice but don't click it, instead click the cog wheel to the right of it. It will open bixby, (if you haven't clicked through all the first time page just keep clicking next then go back to the setting app and click that cog wheel again). Once the "bixby voice settings" opens scroll down and click "privacy" ...now scroll all the way to the bottom and click "Delete bixby from your account" follow those steps (it requires you to verify via email) and done! Now when you look, the only permissions bixby voice has is camera and storage, which can actually be disabled normally now for absolutely zero permissions for bixby. You're welcome ppl. [NOTE: If you reopen bixby by accident or on purpose, you will have to repeat that whole process because as soon as you open it again you will have undeniable permissions again.]

OleKristoffer
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

Thanks for the tip! Tried this, but it doesn't seem to help me much. I deleted bixby from my account, but doesn't seem to do anything locally on my Tab S7+.

I truly hate this about Samsung. I have a OnePlus 7 Pro phone where there is hardly any bloatware and a fantastic OS. I've had Samsung in the past, and told myself I'm not going back. Well if it weren't for the Tab S7+ specs, I'd consider something else. Now, when finding out about Bixby, I slightly regret Samsung - again! 

Steve28
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

Firstly, even the process of contacting Samsung is a convoluted mess. I'm a reasonably technically sophisticated user, nonetheless a clever software development team at Samsung has deliberately hamstrung the ability to remap the hated Bixby button for another purpose. In my case I've used BX actions to remap the Bixby button to Google assistant since I first purchased the phone. This has now been disabled. I find instead a whole flotilla of unwanted Samsung bloatware and near impossibility to remap the button from Bixby. I don't need Bixby - I don't want Bixby. I see Samsung has removed the charger, ear buds and micro SC slot from their latest phone. Doesn't matter to me I WON"T BE BUYING IT!

I do think that's a marketing mistake and you will lose a lot of sales. My advice - include a charger, ear buds and micro SD card slot in future phones. Allow people to map the Bixby button to Google assistant natively in the Samsung software implementation of Android without going through a whole cloak and dagger routine. My next phone will not be a Samsung. In my house the fridge is a Samsung. The television is a Samsung. This ban extends outward. I won't buy any Samsung appliances or devices. EVER

0 Likes
missrachey
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S10 Series
To the makers of Samsung... we don't pay all our hard earned money for you to track us and tell us what apps and permissions and whatever ***** your doing now.... I bought the s20 thinking it would be a good thing... but the thing has a mind of its own and I can't choose my own permissions on the phone I paid 700 pound for...I'm not paying that much for a phone to be tracked and traced by every advertising company and every tom dick and Harry...
0 Likes