Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Trying to disable special characters

(Topic created on: 21-11-2021 06:50 PM)
Gregoris
Pioneer
Options

Hi all,

So when I type it is full of typos and it is because when you hold the buttons in for too long the special characters come up and it makes me typo so much. Is there any way to turn it off? 

I tried to Google it but the results don't work 

Tia

0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11
Solution
AndrewL
Options

@Gregoris: If you head to Settings > General Management > Language and Input > On-Screen Keyboard > Samsung Keyboard > Style and Layout > Keyboard Layout, you can toggle off the Alternative Characters option from here. 

0 Likes
Gregoris
Pioneer
Options

Thank you for your reply and help hģ I did this and it kind of works. I marked as solved but some of the keys still do it  like the g.. ğ and it makes me typo so much. Is there a way to disable all of the keys from doing this ? 

Thanks very much 

VanWms
First Poster
Options

Hello!!!!   I'm having the same problem.  Seriously have been brand loyal to samsung but I cannot believe that this a32 doesn't have a wireless feature AND it messes me up when I'm trying to type.  I've already had to RESET MY PASSCODES for my bank and credit cards several times because of this nonsense!!!   Whoever thought this feature was a good idea is..........  never mind.  Could someone PLEASE tell me how to turn it off!?  Thanks. 

Gram1
Apprentice
Options

I have the same problem on a Samsung J3 (2016 model). I have searched all over the internet and everything I have found states: Go to settings then General Management > Language and Input > On-Screen Keyboard > Samsung Keyboard > Style and Layout > Keyboard Layout then toggle off.

Firstly, I can't see any setting of 'General Management' ( phone is a Samsung J3 2016 model) so I can only assume that Samsung updated the settings menu on later phones. However I can get to the  'Samsung Keyboard' option through the setting of 'Language and Input'. Once there, there are toggle settings to turn off predictive text, auto capitalise, auto punctuate but I can't see a setting to toggle on/off alternative characters. I would very much appreciate any assistance anyone can give on this issue.

0 Likes
KWG
Student
Options

I have the exact same problem on my S9, S10. Ive tried everything and none of the so called solutions work.

0 Likes
AshP_
Options

@KWG May I ask what Android version you're running on your S9 and S10? You can check this by heading to Settings > About phone > Software information.

0 Likes
KWG
Student
Options

Sure apologies for the late reply and tks for the follow up. The S9 is running 8.0 and the S10 is running 9.0

0 Likes
KWG
Student
Options

BTW the alternate key setting, which I can turn on or off, simply turn the numerical a nd cap alternate characters in the top right corner of the keys on or off. It does not stop è being type in error when I want to type an 'e'.

0 Likes
motomanmatt
Explorer
Options

Me too. HATE THIS!!

0 Likes