Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thanks for bricking my GearVR! :(

(Topic created on: 22-01-2022 09:46 PM)
McVitas
Pioneer
Options

Well what a great new features with the last update! I can no longer use my Gear VR! Thanks very much for this! :(( If I knew this would happen, I would not install it! You should give a warning with big letters before doing something like this!

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7
McVitas
Pioneer
Options

and what about the games I bought, how do I get a refund for them??

0 Likes
Glenntech
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
It was publicised a while ago in the tech press that the gear VR amongst other bits. Support was being withdrawn on newer devices.
I still have an old Samsung phone I can use and still works.
For the moment at least.
Probably the best way round it to be honest. Pick them up so cheaply.
Unfortunately technology moves on at a pace, and less people will be using this stuff to a point there's no worth in supporting something anymore. They will be able to see by how many accounts are still being used.
0 Likes
GothicGeisha
Navigator
Options
You was lucky being able to get it on your S10 as it was only listed to work on a few devices ending at s9 & note 8. I understand your frustration tho. I had the note 8, upgraded to 10, sold 8 to my sister she didn't want the VR set & it doesn't work with Note10 😓 kinda wish I kept my note 8 now as my buisness phone lol, first time I've ever got rid of a handset. Usually box them & keep them. So I have a VR Gear Occulus set sat here in the box now.

It was some sort of sour deal between Samsung & Faceache when they bought occulus. So Samsung pulled the development for the device on newer phones. Like I said you was lucky being able to use it on the S10 as its support was listed as ending with S9.
0 Likes
Topman53
Journeyman
Options

I'm sorry but with respect not all users read tech press? 

Samsung should have made it absolutely clear before allowing people to download Android 12 ... the least they should re corporate responsibility 

Maybe they will supply me with an old s10 for free.... im certainly not paying out money for their lack of customer care 

Glenntech
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Well you can ask.
But support for anything technology wise is limited.
Be great if they kept it going.
You should still have your purchases I think on the account for that.
But sadly older tech is quickly forgotten about.
I still have 2 VR headsets.
Will have to see if my old Samsung phone still works with them, not tried for a bit. Was working though
0 Likes
McVitas
Pioneer
Options

OK so if there is no other way, someone please tell me which older Samsung phones support GearVR please. Is it only S8 and S9?

0 Likes
SamDroid
First Poster
Options
It supports S6-S10 from Android 5.01 to Android 11.

It is deprecated from Android 12+

https://www.meta.com/en-gb/help/quest/articles/headsets-and-accessories/oculus-rift-s/gear-vr-compat...

Users that are unable to sign in can still use the headset by switching to Developer mode to launch the apps already installed directly from the phone instead of via the Universal Menu. You just won't be able to download new ones. The ones you have may not have the full functionality available.

https://docs.unrealengine.com/4.26/en-US/SharingAndReleasing/XRDevelopment/VR/GearVR/Debugging/
0 Likes