Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden shut down at 40%

(Topic created on: 04-07-2021 08:28 PM)
Paudeja
Apprentice
Options

I've had my S10 plus for about 3 months now from new. I noticed the phone was coming apart at the sides so took it to a repair shop. The guy told me my battery had swollen and subsequently exploded. He fitted a new battery and I charged it up to 100% but, when it got to 40% the phone shut down without warning. I thought that maybe because it was a new battery I needed to charge it longer so left it on charge for 8 hours. This didn't help, phone shuts down at around 30, 40 or 50% and will not turn on until it's charged again. I've tried all the help tutorials with all the supposed hash tag fixes and nothing helped. As a last resort I backed up and the factory reset the phone but lo and behold the problem persists. I wrote to the eBay site and received no reply so I'm about to go into dispute on eBay but I guess I've invalidated my warranty now so am stuck with a barely usable phone. Any thoughts would be appreciated. 

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6
AndrewL
Options

@Paudeja: I'm really sorry to hear that you have experienced this issue with your Galaxy S10+. We have procedures in place to investigate issues such as this, as we take matters of customer safety very seriously. If you have visited an unauthorised repair shop, and your battery has been replaced, then sadly this affects our ability to proceed with the investigation, and also affects your warranty. What I'd suggest is reaching out to our Help Desk via the link below to explore your repair options, however please be aware that it may not be possible to proceed with our available warranty services due to the nature of your previous repair. In future, if you should encounter an issue such as this, then please reach out to us directly so we can provide the necessary support. 

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/contact/

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@Paudeja  Sorry you have experienced this issue but unfortunately in all likelihood  your warranty will be affected if you decided to go through an authorised repair shop  However as @AndrewL  has stated best to contact Samsung on the link provided to explore your options.

On a general point could not say I would recommend purchasing mobiles via Ebay,particularly if from a random seller.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

Paudeja
Apprentice
Options

Andrew, many thanks for your reply with link. Unfortunately, it was pretty much the reply I'd expected and I seriously doubt I'll make much headway on this matter. I have already decided to re-list the phone with an honest description of it's faults, guessing it's still worth something to somebody.

I bought the phone, described as brand new. It came in a sealed box with the usual accessories. When the repair man removed the battery he noticed it was dated June 2019 and he expressed some dismay. He also noted that the battery had black tape on it and told me that Samsung only use white tape on their batteries; do you know if he's correct in his assumptions?

Paudeja
Apprentice
Options

James,

Thanks for your reply, I replied to Andrew's comment which may be of interest to you.

Babishko
Hotshot
Options
I would go into dispute with eBay Paudeja. I feel that the guy who did the repair for you was probably right in that the phone had been fitted with a non standard battery and this has damaged your phone seriously and harmed it's capacity to use it's battery correctly. I would seriously bin the thing as it sounds potentially quite dangerous now and I am surprised that it still works at all?. It is noble of you to be prepared to give a true and honest description of the phone and it's problems should you decide to sell it but once again I state that it really does sound like a potentially dangerous unit and for everyone's sake it needs taking out of circulation in my opinion. I hope you do get some reimbursement from eBay Paudeja and that you eventually end up with a good safe phone that serves you well. 👍👍
Paudeja
Apprentice
Options

Thanks for your sensible reply. I wrote to the seller last Monday  adding pics of the battery, however  I've received no reply. Having given him seven days to reply I will be contacting ebay tomorrow.