Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart suggestions draining battery?

(Topic created on: 06-04-2022 08:34 PM)
SN018
Student
Options
So I updated my Samsung galaxy phone a few days ago and ever since my phone battery has been draining quickly (around an hour)

I checked my battery status and it says something called smart suggestions used 40% of my battery. 

I searched for smart suggestions in settings and there's an option to turn this off so I did. It hasn't made a difference as it still says its using most of my battery.

Can anyone help?
18 REPLIES 18
AndrewL
Options

@SN018: I've had a look into this for you, and was able to find the following information on our US Community forums.

"SamsungSmartSuggestions is an intelligence service that handles Contextual Analysis, Personalized Suggestions, Autofill, Etc.  Samsung keyboard supports OTP based on these suggestions. SamsungSmartSuggestions catches OTP from SMS and sends it to Samsung keyboard."

I'm not sure why this feature would be such a drain on your battery, based on the above. Since disabling the feature, have you charged your phone to 100%, and used it as you would normally? If so, please can you provide a screenshot of your battery usage via Settings > Battery and Device Care > Battery > Tap on the usage graph, and scroll down, so I can gain a better understanding of the issue? 

0 Likes
SN018
Student
Options
Thanks for getting back to me. I've never had this issue before so not sure if its some kind of bug. I added a screenshot Screenshot_20220407_Device care_87287_1649267371.jpg
0 Likes
AndrewL
Options

@SN018: The app listed above appears to be a third party app, as I was referring to SamsungSmartSuggestions in my previous post. To further troubleshoot the issue, please charge your phone to 100%, then restart it in Safe Mode to disable all third party apps. If you check your battery usage after a few hours, is Smart Suggestions still listed as using an abnormal amount of battery life?

To enter Safe Mode, press and hold the Power button until the 'Power off' prompt appears on the screen then release > Touch and hold Power off until the 'Safe mode' prompt appears then release > To confirm, tap Safe mode. To exit Safe Mode, simply restart the phone as you would normally.

0 Likes
Ciruits000
Journeyman
Options

My smart suggestions is taking up almost 30 gigs of space. If I clear data what am I loosing? 

Poppi_piklz1
First Poster
Options

Did you ever get any answers or did you do this? 

0 Likes
Ciruits000
Journeyman
Options

Contacted samsung and didn't tell me what I would be deleting. For now i just disabled it

0 Likes
FatalSon
Pioneer
Options

I never had this issue earlier, but today this happened on my S22 Ultra:

Screenshot_20220513-103656_Device care.jpg

0 Likes
Fusionbug
First Poster
Options

I'm having  the same issue. How did you disable it? Also do you know where it comes from? It doesnt show up on my apps list but is draining my battery as well

PaulM1
Options

Hi, @Fusionbug. To disable Smart suggestions, please do the following on your phone:

Go to Settings> Advanced features > Smart suggestions and then toggle the switch to "off."

I trust this will help. 

@Ciruits000, would you be able to post a screenshot of the storage graph showing that the Smart suggestions feature is taking up 30GB of space? I'd like to look into this further to see why there is so much consumption there. It would also be good for you to know what you might be deleting.

0 Likes