Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S10e Tethering on 5Ghz

(Topic created on: 15-12-2021 01:25 AM)
Margaretautca
Journeyman
Options

Hi, since last update, just discovered, when tethering on 5Ghz not all devices can "see" it! iPad does, HP Envy laptop doesn't but it used to. Other phones also can't see it now but previously there wasn't a problem to connect to it. Strange, very strange...I'm in London, UK.

Did anyone experience this, please?

8 REPLIES 8
GalaxyA51user
Voyager
Options
Depends if HP supports 5GHz network. Check your laptop's specs once.
0 Likes
N1NJATH3ORY
Voyager
Options
How old is your laptop ? Can we have the model number to so we can check ?
0 Likes
Josh50052
Pathfinder
Options
so worth mentioning that samsung changed something a while ago. when if first got my s10. it was 5ghz (preferred) and 2.4ghz.

now its 5ghz only or 2.4ghz only my toshiba has the exact same issue now. basically i think prior it was just sending out a signal and devices could use either. now its just 1 or the other. but i may well be wrong.
0 Likes
Ian28
Student
Options

I got a issue close to yours on my galaxy s10. Since that update i got yesterday (dec Patch) my Macbook cant connect to my phones 5ghz hotspot anymore. That worked great before.. Testet with other devices, the laptop is NOT the problem. I can see my network but fail to connect, this just affects 5ghz bands.

Dear Samsung. Thanks for your dec update, that i stupidly happened to install on christmas. You Fd my day. i'm pissed af. Get this fixed asap. Or i get myself an Iphone.

0 Likes
Margaretautca
Journeyman
Options

As I wrote, nothing wrong with the laptop, it used to connect to it until November update. Still can connect to other 5GHz routers. It is clearly the update on S10e.

0 Likes
Margaretautca
Journeyman
Options

I replied to N1NJATH3ORY:

"As I wrote, nothing wrong with the laptop, it used to connect to it until November update. Still can connect to other 5GHz routers. It is clearly the update on S10e."

Now to Ian28:

Hi "Ian28", glad you understand my problem, yes, yours seems to be similar. After update, 5GHz Hotspot connection messed up on S10e. It was working well previously. Tested with 9 different device: androidTV, 2 laptops, iPad 4th gen, 2 old Sony tablets, 3 android phones, all used to connect to S10e hotspot on 5GHz. Now, the 3 phones and the new HP ENVY can't see it. But the old DELL laptop, the iPad, the TV and the 2 old android Sony tablets can connect to it. Rather confusing! All this happened overnight after Nov update.

0 Likes
Ian28
Student
Options

I actually found a workaround that temporary fixes my issue, cant tell if that works for you though.

The problem is related to no handshake on 5ghz bands in my case, this means the hotspot does not answer the request of the connecting device, ergo no handshake, results in no bidirectional connection.

set your hotspot to 2,4 ghz. connect your device. when succesfully connected, change your hotspot to 5ghz and apply. the Hotspot should now turn of, and then on again in 5ghz mode. But it does not drop the devices, its telling them about the changed band and keeps running.

To get this to work as usual we might need another update. in my case this is not software related. its firmware change of the modem. samsung fd up really good this time. man im mad

by the way: a reset of any kind does not help.

Tried but not working:

-network settings reset

-factory reset

-cache wipe

0 Likes
Margaretautca
Journeyman
Options

Hi , thanks for sharing your experiment's positive result.

Congrats.

Just tried it, but it doesn't work for me. It is a mystery why S10e hotspot in 5GHz can communicate with old and slow android6 Sony tablets, an old and slow Dell laptop, whilst our 3 phones plus new, fast 16GB RAM HP ENVY stopped "seeing" it overnight. So, this issue has nothing to do with the age or OS of devices.

Thanks anyway

0 Likes