Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Original topic:

S10e screen shows scratches within 2 weeks of careful usage..

(Topic created on: 27/07/19 14:15)
chris646
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

Hi,

I have been using my S10e for 2 weeks and I couldn't be more happy with it. Before this I had a S6 (and before that a S4 and before that a S2) and again, the upgrade brings even more than I expected!

However, I notice that the screen seems to scratch shockingly easily. Within a few days already, a number of long, superficial scratches were visible, but now even a short, deeper scratch has appeared. This one especially is very visible and irritating. I have no idea how this is possible, because I treat my S10 very carefully, exactly the same way as my S6 before. I have had the S6 for 4 years, without it ever showing a single visible scratch (only a few very superficial ones over years of usage).

Hence, I was always impressed by the quality of the Samsung Galaxy screens, which makes it very surprising that the S10(e) seems so different in this regard. Is it just bad luck or are there more people with this experience?

Unfortunately, there no standard protector came with the S10e (as it does with the S10 and S10Plus) and - to my surprise - the scratches were already visible before I had the chance to attach a separate screen protector myself.

68 REPLIES 68
Rosemalen43
Observer
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

I'm offering this advice very carefully! However. I also bought an S10e about 6 weeks ago (September 2019).

Scratches started appearing immediately in exactly the same way as the original poster described. I am usually very careful with my devices. Previously I had a budget ZTE Axon7 which was barely scratched after two years of use.

Like everyone else, I also read that the S10e didn't come out of the box with a protective screen (unlike the S10). But on closer inspection, today, I noticed a small bubble at one edge and took the plunge. After careful inspection, there was a protective screen and it did peel off.

My advice is, look carefully. You can see a slight ridge of the protective cover very close to the bezel around the front of the device. And once you lift one corner, it should peel off very easily.

Needless to say I am going to buy a decent screen protector and case right now. 

0 Likes
StellarTraveler
Helping Hand
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

@Rosemalen43 wrote:

I'm offering this advice very carefully! However. I also bought an S10e about 6 weeks ago (September 2019).

Scratches started appearing immediately in exactly the same way as the original poster described. I am usually very careful with my devices. Previously I had a budget ZTE Axon7 which was barely scratched after two years of use.

Like everyone else, I also read that the S10e didn't come out of the box with a protective screen (unlike the S10). But on closer inspection, today, I noticed a small bubble at one edge and took the plunge. After careful inspection, there was a protective screen and it did peel off.

My advice is, look carefully. You can see a slight ridge of the protective cover very close to the bezel around the front of the device. And once you lift one corner, it should peel off very easily.

whitestone dome glass is highly recommended and not plastic. https://www.whitestonedome.com/?sscid=b1k3_7ehof&

StellarTraveler
Helping Hand
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

@StellarTraveler wrote:

@Rosemalen43 wrote:

whitestone dome glass is highly recommended and not plastic. https://www.whitestonedome.com/?sscid=b1k3_7ehof&

Had mine since August and zero micro scratch due to proper care and handling.

0 Likes
StellarTraveler
Helping Hand
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

@StellarTraveler wrote:

@StellarTraveler wrote:

@Rosemalen43 wrote:

Had mine since August and zero micro scratch due to proper care and handling.

im still good with proper caring

0 Likes
Stu4
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S10 Series
Very strange, the S10 and all its various models are fitted with the latest gorilla glass which is usually amazingly scratch resistant. I can't understand what could have scratched your screen, do you carry sharp diamonds in your pocket? Lol
0 Likes
grondolin
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

well, I feel kind of silly. I wasn't aware that Samsung applied a plastic screen protector to their new phones until I did some reading here, and they did such a good job of applying said protector that I didn't think my phone had one installed. I actully lifted the corner a little to verify that it really was on there..

so what I assumed was a "soft" screen was really the screen protector that was getting easily scratched. 

StellarTraveler
Helping Hand
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

@grondolin wrote:

well, I feel kind of silly. I wasn't aware that Samsung applied a plastic screen protector to their new phones until I did some reading here, and they did such a good job of applying said protector that I didn't think my phone had one installed. I actully lifted the corner a little to verify that it really was on there..

so what I assumed was a "soft" screen was really the screen protector that was getting easily scratched. 

if scratches on plastic as you've seen then your safe. Many assume glass is scratched but the plastic does and will scratch and keep glass safe.

0 Likes
tomasidebra
Options
Galaxy S10 Series
I have the same problem
BandOfBrothers
Superuser I
Superuser I
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

What I sometimes come across is that it's not the actual phones screen that is scratched but the olyphoebic coating.

Unfortunately if a person has grit etc in their pocket then the hardness of this can cause scratches. I appreciate you've been careful.

I also keep mine in a pdair vertical holster with belt clip that helps to keep it away from such scenarios. 

This is also why I apply a Whitestone Dome Glass Screen Protector on my phones.

Alternative options are available.

Current Phone ~

Samsung Note 20 Ultra 5G SM-N9860_256Gb SnapDragon 865+

Samsung One Ui 3.0/ Android 11.

0 Likes
DamoFromOz
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

I agree. Mine is also new and I have scratches all over it, even though I am super careful. Don't know where most of them came from. Not impressed. Had an S8 for around 2 years and it never had a mark on it.

0 Likes
Teun3
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

As said: It is the plastic factory installed screen protector that scratches, not the gorilla glass. The protector is almost invisible but it is there. Teun

0 Likes
DamoFromOz
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

Is this plastic factory protector something that can be removed? As I can't see it to remove it? Thanks

0 Likes
Ray66
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

We indeed found that there was a factory installed screen protector which we replaced with a glass one. It's difficult to see because the glass is flat on an s10e, but you can feel a slight ridge at the corners. The factory fitted protector comes off quite easily once one corner is lifted. 

0 Likes
DamoFromOz
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

So there is. Just seen it and removed it.  It really is almost invisible. Had to get a work friend with better eyes than me to find it. Thanks all for your help. Pic attached for others who may want to do the same thing.15797296921957610980934914920124.jpg

0 Likes
Stefan-Dus
Pathfinder
Options
Galaxy S10 Series
The s10 ist the first Galaxy since the s1 which I managed to get tons of micro scratches and 2 major scratches in. S1, s3, note4, s8, all used in the same manner, none of these screens was as scratch sensitive as the s10 screen. I've used it without the factory protector for only a few days, first scratches appeared. It's very disappointing.
Gruß,
Stefan
--
Galaxy Note 20 Ultra, Galaxy Watch 46mm, Buds v1 + v2
0 Likes
JvSanten
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

Same issue here with the S10. Bought last week, but already seeing scratches. I am always very careful with my devices. I have an 2 years old S9 without any usage marks. (Reason I bought a new phone is because of the battery of the S9 which didn't last for 12hrs any more) I also still have an S6 at home which I used to use for 2 years as well, also no usage marks / scratches. 

What is the screen of the S10 made off, this shouldn't be possible after one week of usage!

0 Likes
PabloSM12
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

I had the same issue, but as someone here commented, S10 comes with a built in screen protector.  The protector gets the scratches, and it is so tight onto the screen that it seems the scratches are on the glass, but no, they are in the protector.  You just check at the edges in the corner of the screen and will feel with your fingers where the protector ends, it is a very thin layer, but still you will feel it.

I apologize to samsung, but someone should explain this feature when you buy the phone.

JvSanten
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S10 Series
Didnt notice the screenprotactor. Thanks for the tip.
0 Likes
Ray66
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

My wife has experienced the same problems. She even has a Samsung LED view cover. But the coating has worn within a few weeks. It isn't a scratch but a wear patch about 5mm wide and 20mm long. Never had any problems with S6 S8 Any suggestions?

doc1964
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

My S10e did come with a screen protector already fitted. I have bought a tempered glass fully glued protector. I did struggle at first to remove the already attached cover as I was not sure if it had one fitted as standard but took the plunge and it did come off easily enough. Did panic at first trying to remove it as so many posts state the 10e does not come with protector. I am in UK in case it is a regional thing.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/galaxys10/comments/b5086b/s10e_screen_protector_preins...

0 Likes
hninyeehtwe
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

Yes. I also happened. My current phone is S10+. I was putting in my pant's pocket carefully everytime and never drop to the ground. And then saw scratch on my phone.  And then go to shop and ask. They said too deep. Wew. Quality become  not good and not good. Phone price is not cheap. They should use good quality glass. Please upgrade your quality.