Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S10+ region unlock

(Topic created on: 17-07-2019 05:04 PM)
Missjackie007
Apprentice
Options

Hello!

I am using a S10+ dual sim here in the Philippines. It is a network unlocked unit.

I am travelling to HK and KL and planning to use their local sims. I read that if you make a call of at least 5 mins using your simcard (where you originally bought the phone, in my case a Philippine sim) outside the country, you will be able to use other countries local sim. Just want to confirm this info. There's no sticker on the box about regional restriction. 

Thank you in advance! 

EDIT: Just arrived home from my trip from Hong Kong and Kuala Lumpur. Took my chance NOT to unlock my s10 plus. I was advised in a Facebook group, to try inserting a foreign sim in Sim 2 and keep in Sim 1 my home country sim (I got my phone under a contract with a plan - Smart Telecom). And yes.. it worked perfectly! Happy that didn't have to pay for unlocking services of about $30! 

9 REPLIES 9
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@Missjackie007 

Region locks can be removed via....

Making a culmitive phone call upto 10 minutes using a local sim card and calling a local phone number in that country.

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

Missjackie007
Apprentice
Options

@BandOfBrothers wrote:

@Missjackie007 

Region locks can be removed via....

Making a culmitive phone call upto 10 minutes using a local sim card and calling a local phone number in that country.

Thank you for your response. So just to make sure I got it correctly:

As soon as I arrive in HK, I just have to make a call up to 10 mins using my Philippine sim then I insert a HK sim and that should work? 

Also, both sim slots will unlock or just one slot? 

0 Likes
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

No that's not a region lock scenario.

A region lock scenario is if a person buys a sim free unlocked to all networks Samsung phone in one country but wants to import it to another country and use it there instead.

So for example if you bought the phone from Samsung from another country but wanted to use it in Philippines then 10 minutes of calls would need to be made where the phone was bought from using a local sim card.

A person using a phone supplied by a mobile network i.e. not supplied directly by Samsung would need to have the phone unlocked to all network's which is carried out by the network that supplied it. Then any sim card will work in it.

Phones supplied directly by Samsung are already unlocked.

Because your using a phone already that's been released to be used in that country you will have already removed the region lock.

Missjackie007
Apprentice
Options

Thank you for clarifying this. So I need to avail a paid service to unlock my unit. Any recommendations? I googled it and there are lots of paid unlocking websites however, some claims saying not legit. 

0 Likes
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Did Samsung supply the phone or a Mobile Network @Missjackie007  ?

If a mobile network then they should have a set process and criteria to unlock the phone which is the safest route. A fee may apply.

If directly supplied by Samsung then it should already be unlocked to all network's.

Be very wary of online unlocking sites please.

If the unlock doesn't work then acquiring a refund can be hard. So I cannot recommend a site to use.

I'm sure many have been successful in using some unlocking sites but as I buy directly from Samsung and haven't had to use those sites and I've come across so many posts of people who've had bad experiences I wouldn't want to put my recommendation to a site. I'm sure you'll understand.

Instead try seeking out a Highstreet Store that advertises they unlock phones so you can then try an alternative network sim card in the phone to test it before leaving the shop.

Missjackie007
Apprentice
Options

@BandOfBrothers wrote:

Did Samsung supply the phone or a Mobile Network @Missjackie007  ?

If a mobile network then they should have a set process and criteria to unlock the phone which is the safest route. A fee may apply.

If directly supplied by Samsung then it should already be unlocked to all network's.

Be very wary of online unlocking sites please.

If the unlock doesn't work then acquiring a refund can be hard. So I cannot recommend a site to use.

I'm sure many have been successful in using some unlocking sites but as I buy directly from Samsung and haven't had to use those sites and I've come across so many posts of people who've had bad experiences I wouldn't want to put my recommendation to a site. I'm sure you'll understand.

Instead try seeking out a Highstreet Store that advertises they unlock phones so you can then try an alternative network sim card in the phone to test it before leaving the shop.

I got my unit from a Mobile network, however I am able to use ANY local simcard different from the network company where I got the unit. 

Ie. Got my unit from Smart Telecom (Philippines), but I am using a Globe simcard (Philippines). 

This means that my phone is Network Unlocked right? 

Therefore, the first solution you provided will work? 

I travelled to Bangkok last April and inserted a DTAC (Bangkok sim) and it asked for a code. 

Sorry, getting confused with Network Unlock and Region Unlock hehe

0 Likes
Solution
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Yes its locked to your network and any network that piggy backs onto it.

So yes it'll need unlocking to all networks which tour network can do.

0 Likes
Missjackie007
Apprentice
Options

Thank you for your help!! :winking-face:

0 Likes
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

You're very welcome.  :smiling-face:

0 Likes