Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Phone number and Outlook Contact name

(Topic created on: 19-07-2022 05:32 PM)
IslandBoy
Journeyman
Options

I have an Outlook email app on my PC desktop (for many years). I have an Office 365 subscription (also for many years). I have installed the official Outlook app on my Samsung Galaxy S10. I have selected Auto sync data under Manage Accounts in Settings. The email syncs fine. The calendar syncs fine. BUT when I use the phone app to dial a known number, it doesn't identify the person / contact. 

The only way I can resolve this is to save the number on the phone as a new contact. That creates a new record (somewhere) and in future, the contact name does appear when a phone call comes from or is made to the person. But this implies having to recreate ALL my Outlook contacts one at a time on my phone. This is rubbish and an unnecessary duplication of effort. 

How can I get my phone to recognise my contacts from Outlook? I've just spent over 30 mins on the useless chat and have given up.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Badger42
Helping Hand
Options
When you open the Outlook app, if you press the home icon in the top left you will see the setting icon appear at the bottom left which allows you to see which accounts you have set up in outlook e.g Outlook 365 personal in my case and then you should have something like the attached screenshot.Screenshot_20220720-174921_Outlook_4649_1658336084.jpg

View solution in context

5 REPLIES 5
Badger42
Helping Hand
Options
Have you also checked in the outlook app on the phone, you have the sync contact set for the 365 account, as this syncs with the Android contact app?
0 Likes
IslandBoy
Journeyman
Options

On the phone, in the Microsoft apps section, Office 365 has no such setting. Neither does the Outlook app. In Settings > Apps> Outlook (or Office), no such setting. In the Phone app, no such setting. When you say "checked in the outlook app on the phone" where do you mean?

In the Contacts app on the phone (> Manage contacts > Sync contacts), it's on and claims to have synced with my Outlook account as of today's date / time. But it hasn't. The Contacts aren't there from that account and entering the number in the Phone app does not bring up the name of the Contact. Unlike with the other account.

0 Likes
Solution
Badger42
Helping Hand
Options
When you open the Outlook app, if you press the home icon in the top left you will see the setting icon appear at the bottom left which allows you to see which accounts you have set up in outlook e.g Outlook 365 personal in my case and then you should have something like the attached screenshot.Screenshot_20220720-174921_Outlook_4649_1658336084.jpg
IslandBoy
Journeyman
Options

Genius! Found the Settings cog appeared bottom left (before you, no-one ever told me that's where it was). Then I selected the relevant email account and (as similar to your screenshot) could see Sync contacts was NOT selected. Now it is and name ID works - thanks.

I spent 45 mins with Samsung chat (who couldn't help and said they would organise a call back - never happened) and an hour with Microsoft chat. Both unaware of how their product works.

Thank you very much indeed.

Badger42
Helping Hand
Options
No worries and I'm glad you have got it sorted.