Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone instantly powers off without warning, can only reset by connecting charger?

(Topic created on: 09-07-2021 12:15 PM)
bix_the_dog
Student
Options

Hi, for several months now I've had a problem where my Galaxy S10+ phone will switch off without warning and can only be recovered by connecting the charger.  I've tried the 'Power'+'Volume Down' reset, and a few other suggestions, but they don't seem to work 😞

It's happened occasionally while using the phone normally, but most frequently is triggered by taking photos.  It's really frustrating if this happens when away from home without a charger.

Please can anyone tell me is this a hardware fault that needs addressing?  Are there any other reset methods I can try?

0 Likes
2 REPLIES 2
AndrewL
Options

@bix_the_dog: When the device powers off and you connect to your charger, what battery percentage is displayed i.e. does the phone have sufficient charge? Are you using the charger and plug that came packaged with the phone? To troubleshoot the issue, charge the phone to 100% and use it as you would normally. Head to Settings > Notifications > Advanced Settings > Status Bar  > Show Battery Percentage, and monitor the battery. Does the device power off at low battery, or is it random? You can also head to Settings > Battery and Device Care > Battery > Tap on the graph, and check to see if any apps are using an abnormal amount of battery. 

bix_the_dog
Student
Options

Thanks Andrew: it's very random in terms of charge level.  I'll be honest that I've used a variety of chargers and cables due to the need to charge in different rooms, in the car, and at work, but hope this would not be a problem...

I'd be happier if the reset process worked without having to plug in a charger (or have to offer up a wireless charging source).

Thanks for the battery tips.  Apart from showing Google Maps frequent wake ups, there was nothing untoward reported.

0 Likes