Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My S10e has started charging in 'Safe Mode' when being charged from my PC

(Topic created on: 09-07-2022 11:55 AM)
Ray C
First Poster
Options

My S10e has started charging in 'Safe Mode' when being charged from my PC (and, apparently, slower) - this has only started recently. It still charges normally via the Samsung wall charger.

I can't get any sense out of Samsung as to why this has started happening, let alone how to stop it!  I also find it difficult to accept their line that (slow) charging from a computer could 'damage' the battery - I always understood that slow charging equals less heat, less damage!

I've seen some other comments about upgrades affecting charging performance and wonder if that might be the reason behind this?

Any comments/help would be much appreciated!

0 Likes
15 REPLIES 15
Ray C
First Poster
Options

I now think that you're right in that this isn't 'Safe Mode' at all, but the mere appearance of this symbol (with it's yellow triangle) definately seems to be a warning of some kind to my mind - (perhaps that the charging current is lower than it expects?).

Unlike your S21U, my symbol DOESN'T  disappear after a few minutes (and you said that your wife's S10 doesn't show it at all!) - I'm also pretty sure that the appearance of this symbol is a recent delvelopment in my case - perhaps the result of an upgrade?!

0 Likes
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
OK, because of confusion re safe mode, I need to clarify some points. My wife's phone and mine show this screen. In fact, all of the Samsung devices I've owned since the S4 display this screen.

I suspect yours isn't turning off due to the warning on screen. The warning you have relates to low charging which is to be expected when connected to a PC. The question has been raised as to whether this is good or bad for the phone. Personally, I don't see why a low charging speed should create any issues, it is certainly kinder to the battery than fast charging.

If you short press the Power button, does the screen go blank?
0 Likes
zimma71
Voyager
Options
Yes, I learnt the hard way.
I think it's down to the battery.
Old batteries charged slow so pc was OK as only low watt.
New batteries have a higher amp and needs the extra oomph.
Now electricity is stored as heat in all storage vessels.
FROM a battery to a power cap.
Heat is power...
Even most car batteries are now using twice the amps to charge as well. 👍
0 Likes
zimma71
Voyager
Options
But I will say that 3 pals have same issue after update before I think the fast discharge after that update killed a lot of batteries.
The old apple trick of destroying batteries to improve sales...
0 Likes
Ray C
First Poster
Options

I'm not sure where the "isn't turning off" came from?! 

When I connect to the computer (with the phone turned "off"), up comes the rotating green circle (around the existing percentage charge), together with the warning triangle/plug symbols.  This screen vanishes after a few seconds under any circumstances (screen/battery saving?).  A short press on the power button makes no difference at all (except to restore the screen brightness after it's dimmed)  or to simply restore this screen after it has gone totally blank.

If I connect to the computer with the phone already turned "on", I don't get the warning symbols in question at all - just the little percentage figure and how long "until full" in white at the bottom of the screen.  A short 'power' press then just takes me to the phones normal opening screen.

0 Likes
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
You stated "Unlike your S21U, my symbol DOESN'T disappear after a few minutes"

Nevertheless, it seems your phone is working fine so have no concerns.
0 Likes