Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My S10e has started charging in 'Safe Mode' when being charged from my PC

(Topic created on: 07-07-2022 01:43 PM)
Ray C
First Poster
Options

My S10e has started charging in 'Safe Mode' when being charged from my PC (and, apparently, slower) - this has only started recently. It still charges normally via the Samsung wall charger.

I can't get any sense out of Samsung as to why this has started happening, let alone how to stop it!  I also find it difficult to accept their line that (slow) charging from a computer could 'damage' the battery - I always understood that slow charging equals less heat, less damage!

I've seen some other comments about upgrades affecting charging performance and wonder if that might be the reason behind this?

Any comments/help would be much appreciated!

0 Likes
15 REPLIES 15
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
That's strange. So, the phone reboots and goes into safe mode?
0 Likes
Ray C
First Poster
Options

I usually recharge with the phone turned off (I only use my phone when I'm out of the house) and it now immediately goes into safe mode as soon as it's connected to my PC.  It didn't used to do that I'm sure!

0 Likes
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Sorry to ask a similar question. Whe n the phone is off and you connect it to a PC it boots into safe mode? What happens when it's turned on and you connect to the PC?
0 Likes
Ray C
First Poster
Options

The answer to the 1st question is "yes" - if it's "off" when connected to the PC, then it goes straight into "safe mode".  I don't usually charge it when its "on" because a) I usually don't have this mobile phone "on" when I'm at home and b) I've noticed that (perhaps not surpringly) it charges faster "off" than "on"!   However, I've just tried connecting it to the PC when turned "on" and - connected to the PC - it DIDN'T go into "safe mode" (although - rather bizzarrely, - it then actually briefly went BACKWARDS charge-wise, before then positively charging!).

0 Likes
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Hmmm, I have to admit I'm mystified. The phone shouldn't start up when connected. I'm inclined to think it's a hardware issue, Possibly the cable when inserted is triggering something or perhaps stuck button.
I wish I could give a definitive answer but I haven't come across this before. For info, my wife's S10 doesn't do this.

0 Likes
Ray C
First Poster
Options

I think that I may have led you to an incorrect assumption - it DOESN'T start up when connected (when the phone is "off") - it just starts CHARGING in safe mode (see attached photo) - I did wonder about your phrase "boots into safe mode"!Screen when "off" but charging.....Screen when "off" but charging.....

0 Likes
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Ahh, OK, that's not what I would call safe mode. This is the charging display which should disappear after a few minutes. My S21U is the same.
0 Likes
zimma71
Voyager
Options
I was told never charge a phone on a pc. No good for the cells
0 Likes
Ray C
First Poster
Options

You raise a very interesting point - I'm frankly confused by the conflicting views about 'fast' & 'slow' charging!  I'd always understood that 'fast' charging heated the batteries up more, which equals MORE damage than 'slow', but now I'm just confused!

I just found this interesting article about it:

https://www.isumsoft.com/it/is-it-really-safe-to-charge-your-phone-with-computer/

which merely seems to put BOTH points of view (although the one in favour of 'fast' now seems the more convincing to me)!

0 Likes