Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invasive Samsung app notifications and cannot set up 2 step

(Topic created on: 12-07-2021 08:08 PM)
Ydiss
First Poster
Options

I keep getting spammed by the Samsung account app on my phone telling me to log in again to get access to stuff. I tried and it asks me to verify 2 step. The problem is, I can see the mobile number it's sending the code to is not mine, isn't a number I recognise and I've never had another number. I don't recall ever setting up 2 step but if I did then I'd have set it up on my phone, not someone else's 

I tried resetting my number on my account but it demands emei and serial numbers from any phone I've registered with Samsung. 

I'll be honest, I don't know if I ever have. I set up the account years ago and I don't know any old phone emei etc. I put this phones details in but they're not recognised, which doesn't surprise me, I barely use the app. 

So, just to get some peace and quiet from your invasive notifications, which cannot be disabled, I set up a new account on a different email. But it wants me to set up two step. 

Fine. I add this phone (it already adds the country code for me) and... No code. Tried three times today. 

You need to sort out your security systems. Quite how you've let my account get set up as two step with someone else's number, I'll never understand. But you need to sort it so your two step system works for new accounts. 

And what kind of nonsense security verification is it that asks for registered phone emei and serial number? As if that's something we all have lying around in our heads!

Security questions should be details only we know but are things we know! 

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6
eipinifrin
First Poster
Options
Can active acount
0 Likes
Ydiss
First Poster
Options

It finally sent the code to my phone to set up 2 step for my new account but now I cannot sign onto that account on my Samsung apps! 

It says it's an invalid id or password. Password is copy pasted from the one I set up using Google passwords. So it's the email address its refusing. And you cannot delete data or change accounts on the apps. 

So yeh. I guess I'm stuck with this irritating notification until I factory reset. 

0 Likes
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Sometimes copy/paste doesn't work with passwords, try typing it.
0 Likes
Ydiss
First Poster
Options

Thanks but no, I did type it. 

And copy paste from Google passwords works perfectly. 

It's not that, it's expecting me to log in my other incumbent account. Which cannot be changed seemingly without a full factory reset. 

0 Likes
DaveyxG
Pioneer
Options
If you copy a password then paste it into the password field the system doesn't recognise it for security reasons
0 Likes
Ydiss
First Poster
Options

I typed it manually as well. 

But this is false, I've used this method multiple times throughout this process to log on fine, including in the app with the incumbent account. Remember, I've logged on fine but it then asks for two step? Which I cannot do because the phone number isn't mine (and never has been). 

I have given up trying to recover that account, the steps required to do so are impossible (I don't have any old emei numbers or serial numbers from old devices). So, I created a new account (the one I am logged onto her, using copy and paste password). 

I've now got this account set up with two step on my actual phone. This is all fantastic. But now, I'm trying to log onto my Samsung app with this account but it's not letting me.

The irritation is that somehow Samsung let my account get set up two factor on some random number (which means whoever did that had access to my Samsung account password yet didn't bother to change it nor did I get any notification that someone tried to log in on a new device - or Samsung have messed up and added the number erroneously... I think it's the latter, given there's been no notification of my account being accessed by anyone else). I'll be blunt, two factor security that can be set up without securely ensuring the sign in is legitimate is worthless two factor security. It's made worse by enforcing ridiculous recovery questions. Full name, date of birth and security questions are ample! But Samsung wants you to remember the emei and serial number of any phone registered. Well, this phones emei and serial number weren't recognised. Not surprising given all the mess I've spoken about already.

So, I gave up. I actually don't care about my Samsung account because it's superfluous. But it's necessary to have one to negate the constant notifications to sign in (cannot stop them, cannot even hide them, cannot disable the apps, cannot reset the apps, cannot reset data on the app, cannot change user on the app). 

There seem to be only two ways to stop these notifications. 

1) Sign into my Gmail account and pass two step (cannot do because the two step phone isn't mine and recovery doesn't work) 

2) factory reset my phone and log into my new yahoo Samsung account (this one) 

I'm not happy with either option. 

0 Likes