Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gear VR support removed after update to One UI 4

(Topic created on: 21-02-2022 02:52 PM)
StuartLev
Apprentice
Options
I am extremely frustrated and angry that I can no longer use my gear VR with the S10+ having updated to One UI 4.  I saw no clear warning that this would happen, including in the Notices section on the Samsung Members app, and was being nagged daily by the phone notification to update the software.

I spent a lot of money on the Gear VR and also on content to use with it. As far as I can tell it's now just wasted as there's no way to roll back to a previous firmware (I don't want to use any unoffical ROM or end up having to lose all of my data).

This is totally unacceptable behaviour from Samsung. This change should have been flagged MUCH more clearly and an option not up upgrade software provided. I have been a loyal Samsung customer over the last decade, owning S7, S8, S10+, S21 Ultra, so this feels like a kick in the teeth.

Support via Live Chat told me there's nothing they can do and I need to post here for Samsung's developers to respond...

Thanks
15 REPLIES 15
xSteveuk
Mastermind
Options
Hi,
Regretfully it looks like VR
Is not supported on android 12
But works on earlier versions
0 Likes
CarlH
Options

Hey @StuartLev. This was first posted in the Samsung Members app back in October last year:

"We worked with Occulus for many years to bring accessible virtual reality to your fingertips using your smartphone and our Gear VR headset. Our collaborative work with Occulus ended in April 2020, which means that some devices may not be able to include features that support the use of the Gear VR"

StuartLev
Apprentice
Options
Thanks @CarlH. I understand there was a reason behind this development, but where does that leave me and other S10 owners in the same position, who would not have initiated the update had it been made clear (almost 6 months after the article you refer to) at the point we were being pushed to update. And why was there no email sent out to users of the Oculus system?
CarlH
Options

It may be best to contact Oculus/ Facebook/ Meta regarding this, @StuartLev. They did post this on their site last year: Upcoming Changes for Oculus Gear VR

0 Likes
StuartLev
Apprentice
Options
@CarlH . Wasn't Gear VR a Samsung product? Please can you let me know how I can make an official complaint to Samsung UK HQ?
0 Likes
kez1982
First Poster
Options
I dont use vr stuff ... what the heck is going on
0 Likes
Members_JURyKyy
First Poster
Options

Hi, this is a Samsung product, I believe the regulations state you should support this for 10 years from manufacture you can't just update the software and wash your hands of it regardless of collaboration with oculus. Does this mean we get a refund ?

0 Likes
kgbthatsme
Student
Options

I got the update this morning on my S10+, and right away, I started getting notices about this lack of Oculus support, and it wants me to uninstall VR apps, which unfortunately include Facebook and Messenger!  NO WAY!  It uninstalled them in a flash.  I reinstalled them both immediately.  Are you kidding me?  I would never have accepted an update that would take away the only social media I actually use on my phone.  Ridiculous!  There has to be remedy for this.  So I reinstalled them.  What is going to happen?  Are they going to eventually crash and not work?!?

escalinci
Journeyman
Options

If they can do a pop-up notification asking to uninstall it after updating to one ui 4, they could have had a notification warning before installation. It's really careless, and sends a warning shot to anybody considering buying Gear Watches, 360 cameras. 

Is there a way to flash back to One UI 3 or are all of these headsets now e-waste after three years?

0 Likes