Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Motherboard issue

(Topic created on: 08-02-2022 09:08 PM)
Dave_Burnge
Journeyman
Options
I recently had the misfortune of cracking the screen on my S10 plus. The screen was illuminated but clearly broken, so I took it to a 'trusted' repair shop, who quoted me £199 to replace the screen. 
When I returned to the shop, he informed me that he thought there was a motherboard issue, because when he connected the charger, nothing but a red ring appeared. 
He changed the charging port, to no avail. 
My questions are:
Could this be due to damage caused during the repair or could the fault have come from when the phone dropped, bearing in mind, the screen was still illuminated after the screen broke. 
14 REPLIES 14
Glenntech
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
I suppose if it was a hard enough drop. Maybe.
Trouble is the electronics are very sensitive, and maybe the screen part under the glass could have done something to those electronics. I've seen oled panels when they get damaged arc. Could easily damage PCB electronics.
Also not being careful when doing a repair will obviously damage something.
No way to prove one way or the other to be honest.
Just annoyingly expensive as I found out when the screen got damaged on my one month old Note 20 Ultra😒
Dave_Burnge
Journeyman
Options
Thanks for the reply. The fall was onto a rug but the bounce took it into something hard.
He's wanting to charge me £199 for the screen plus £30 for the motherboard, which I feel is reasonable. Do I need to be cautious about having both changed?
0 Likes
Glenntech
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Isn't it always the way. Be the one hard surface they hit 🙄
Don't think there will be any issues.
I think £30 is a bargain. Must be a reduced cost as they have it there and it's stopped working after the screen replacement.
Sure they are somewhat more expensive normally. Maybe because it's considered an older device
0 Likes
CrazyTom2k2
Helping Hand
Options
Hang on, this red ring issue. I've seen this issue on YouTube before - there's a guy called Hugh Jefferys who salvages quite a lot of phones.

Anyways, ever since the Note7 issues, Samsung's phones have an array of temperature sensors in the Wireless Charging Module.

This might seem completely irrelevant, however, without that wireless charging module attached, your phone won't charge and you'll get the red ring you're mentioning here, along with a thermometer icon (and a red blinking LED indicator, if your phone's got a notification light).

Try asking a shop to fit a new wireless charging coil first, doesn't really sound like a motherboard issue 😀.

Always trust your gut in these shops
0 Likes
Dave_Burnge
Journeyman
Options
Thanks. I'll call him tomorrow
Dave_Burnge
Journeyman
Options
**Update**
The phone couldn't be fixed (I was told). New motherboard didn't work either. I'm not sure how that could be.
0 Likes
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
They probably tried the Jeremy Clarkson method to fix it (aka a big hammer)
0 Likes
Dave_Burnge
Journeyman
Options
I just don't get how the motherboard could have been damaged, when the screen, although broken through the impact, was still showing life.
Either way, he gave me a recon phone for the agreed price.
0 Likes
Dave_Burnge
Journeyman
Options
*agreed price of the original repair
0 Likes