Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fingerprint Sensor

(Topic created on: 06-01-2022 08:26 AM)
S10userUK
First Poster
Options
Hi,

Since last month I have been having issues with the fingerprint sensor on my Galaxy S10 phone. It will no longer read any scans, constantly gives an error of "make sure your finger covers the entire sensor" and then on the odd occasion it does sort of read I get the "press harder" error. Very, very rarely, I get "No Match", so I know the reader does work, sort of. 

I have tried to remove prints and readd them, but these errors also come up in the add fingerprint section, so I cannot add new fingerprints. 

I have tried different fingers, made sure hands are clean, dry, etc. 

I do not use a screen protector, so that is not part of the issue. I have also tried the more sensitive screen option in the settings. 

I have tried clearing the cache as recommended by Samsung. Nothing seems to work. 

I'm wondering if this can be caused by a software update, like the monthly security patches, etc. Or do I have a sensor that is now beginning to fail?

Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks
0 Likes
12 REPLIES 12
Glenntech
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
I sometimes register the same fingerprint multiple times. But use a different angles when registering each one. Seems to work fine for me.
As long as the screen is not damaged and is clean, it should work.
I'm sure you know, but just make sure when you register, your fingerprints are clean, I wash my hands a short while before. So the skin is not too dry, as my skin can get a bit dehydrated and the scanners don't pick up that well when registering.
0 Likes
xSteveuk
Mastermind
Options
Hi,
Run a diagnostic test
Click on the get help button
Diagnostic test fingerprint recognition
0 Likes
S10userUK
First Poster
Options
I have tried that. I did have the maximum 4 prints registered, 3 were all the same finger. I have then removed 2 (1 of the 3 same finger scans, and 1 of my thumb that wouldn't match) So I now have 2 registered, of the same finger, but I cannot add new ones as I just get the errors mentioned above.

The screen itself is perfectly fine. No scratches, no cracks, and fully touch sensitive across the entire screen. It is a very odd problem.
0 Likes
S10userUK
First Poster
Options
Hi, I have tried that. The scanner does a 10 second count down, and I keep trying to scan. I get the same errors I mentioned originally, nothing scans, the 10 seconds counts down and the diagnostic then closes.
0 Likes
xSteveuk
Mastermind
Options
Hi,
You could try contacting support
https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/contact/
And explain the issue
If under warranty
Have them check it
To see if there a fault on it
0 Likes
IronG
First Poster
Options

I have the same issue recently on a S21+, it only tells me "make sure your finger covers the entire sensor" and then on the odd occasion it does sort of read I get the "press harder" error. I've tried it on my old samsung a70 with and without the same screen protector, so the problem doesn't seem to be on my fault

0 Likes
Faysalbest
First Poster
Options

Last 15 days I also have the same problem with my Samsung S20 plus. I think it's an software issue.  Somone should notify Samsung engineers as it's getting wide spread. 

0 Likes
Kings4sure2000
First Poster
Options

I am also having the same problem on my Samsung galaxy s20 plus. It is so frustrating. I have done factory reset twice but the problem refused to go. I love to install the monthly updates and my phone has never hit the floor. Please help. I also thought the October update will solve the problem but it still remains even after the installing the update 

0 Likes
Rushil
First Poster
Options

Same issue

0 Likes