Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data breach

(Topic created on: 16-06-2022 10:09 AM)
soulnut
Journeyman
Options
Dear samsung, please can you explain how a non third party app (messenger) can update itself without having permission to do so? I wont be contacting the app developer because its happening on your product. Why are samsung basically allowing this data breach to happen, im looking at legal advice dependent on what you do about it in this conversation
0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
Messenger as in Google? If so that's how. It doesn't need permission to update via Google Play and really it needs to because updates keep it and your data secure. Either way attach a picture of the app details for the one you mean. It may be possible to disable it completely if you do not use it
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Are you being serious?? You have these apps and the Android system under license. Even if this weren't the case what data has been breached?

How do you think apps get updated around the world? Go take legal advice and you will be told the same.
Also, why would you even consider the threat of legal advice on a forum meant for Samsung USERS?

soulnut
Journeyman
Options
Zero app permissions were given to do so, u have an issue with reading things corrctly dont u
0 Likes
soulnut
Journeyman
Options
If it didnt need permission why is there an option to turn auto update off?
0 Likes
soulnut
Journeyman
Options
Why is it even a 3rd party app? Cos it circumnavigates the playstores privacy policies
0 Likes
soulnut
Journeyman
Options
Now , options to turn auto update off should remain as such it ut looks a bit of a sham, dont you think?
0 Likes
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
That's not a permission setting but a user preference. There's a vast difference and turning it off will put your data at risk if you actually use that app. If you do not, uninstall it. If that option is not available, long hold the icon in the app grid screen and tap the i in the circle. Scroll down the app info and disable it.
soulnut
Journeyman
Options
Lol u gonna tell me to uninstall facebook as well
0 Likes
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
No, you want to risk outdate messenger that is your concern not mine. It will cause a data breach though and not fix the non-existent one you think you have already