Did you mean: 

Original topic:

Caller ID Comes as the wrong name

(Topic created on: 23-10-2020 07:49 AM)
SuffyaanAli
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

When i ring someone who is not on my contacts list (or they have not added me). my number does not come up but instead a business name comes up. I have tried this on multiple devices and this happens. It is really annoying as I need to ring people as it is part of my job, but instead a weird business name pops up. please could you help me.

I can provide screenshots if needed. 

15 REPLIES 15
DiPerth
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

Thank you so much. This has been driving me mad since (a) I got a new phone and/or (b) I changed phone companies (both around the same time). People have been avoiding picking up my calls because it was showing the name of a company I was associated with several years ago (and which has been out of business for the past six years), and they thought they were getting nuisance calls. I have no idea how this has been happening.

I have been in touch with HiYa and hopefully they will fix it. I have been Googling for a solution ever since someone alerted me to this, without any success until I found your post.

0 Likes
AUS_Michael
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

I had the same issue and I fixed it. I have a Samsung Galaxy S20+ 5G. You need to go to Settings on the phone tab where you make calls, then click on the 3 dots top right and go to Settings. Then go to Supplementary Services and then click on Show Caller ID. You will see 3 options being Network default, Hide number and Show number. It is defaulted to Network default. Change it to Show number. This will remove the name of your phone name which you don't want when calling someone you dont know when calling another Samsung phone to a person who doesn't have your contact stored in their phone. I am not sure why this is happening or happened. It's crazy and must be a Samsung glitch. They informed me it must be from a 3rd part calling application from the Google Play Store which I have never used or downloaded called Call something. I couldn't even find that in the Google Play store of all Apps I have downloaded in the library in the past which show all the apps including previous downloaded Apps I have previously deleted.

I did this today and it solved the problem. Essentially, what happened to me was, when I called another Samsung phone to a person I don't know, i.e. a prospect, it was displaying my first name spelt wrong and then the first word of my business name. I don't ever recall doing this and would think I know how to spell my first name Lol. The only way you will know of this issue is when you call another Samsung phone with a newish model and they will tell you the name you called on the caller ID if your number isn't in their contact list. So, if you call a prospect who has a Samsung phone and not stored in their contacts, it will come up on their caller ID as the name you are talking about which you don't want to display. I assume you want to display your mobile number it not a contact? Mine kept on displaying a wrong caller ID if my contact wasn't in their phone which wouldn't be if you dont know that person. anyway, go to call settings, Supplementary services and change the option called Network default to Show number and it wont show the name you are talking about, just your phone number if not a contact in that persons phone. I hope this helps.

BTW I called my phone provider in Australia, Optus and they said it's a Samsung issue, not a network provider issue as all my phone provider does is manage calls. They are correct which normally I would argue with them. lol It is a Samsung issue as you are using a device manufactured with them.

0 Likes
AUS_Michael
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

I had the same issue and I fixed it. I have a Samsung Galaxy S20+ 5G. You need to go to Settings on the phone tab where you make calls, then click on the 3 dots top right and go to Settings. Then go to Supplementary Services and then click on Show Caller ID. You will see 3 options being Network default, Hide number and Show number. It is defaulted to Network default. Change it to Show number. This will remove the name of your phone name which you don't want when calling someone you dont know when calling another Samsung phone to a person who doesn't have your contact stored in their phone. I am not sure why this is happening or happened. It's crazy and must be a Samsung glitch. They informed me it must be from a 3rd part calling application from the Google Play Store which I have never used or downloaded called Call something. I couldn't even find that in the Google Play store of all Apps I have downloaded in the library in the past which show all the apps including previous downloaded Apps I have previously deleted.

I did this today and it solved the problem. Essentially, what happened to me was, when I called another Samsung phone to a person I don't know, i.e. a prospect, it was displaying my first name spelt wrong and then the first word of my business name. I don't ever recall doing this and would think I know how to spell my first name Lol. The only way you will know of this issue is when you call another Samsung phone with a newish model and they will tell you the name you called on the caller ID if your number isn't in their contact list. So, if you call a prospect who has a Samsung phone and not stored in their contacts, it will come up on their caller ID as the name you are talking about which you don't want to display. I assume you want to display your mobile number it not a contact? Mine kept on displaying a wrong caller ID if my contact wasn't in their phone which wouldn't be if you dont know that person. anyway, go to call settings, Supplementary services and change the option called Network default to Show number and it wont show the name you are talking about, just your phone number if not a contact in that persons phone. I hope this helps.

Call Samsung direct and they fix it from their end which they are doing for me, but I also worked out how to fix it within the phone mentioned in the steps above. As it's a Samsung phone, they need to remove that name you don't want when you call someone who has a Samsung phone and isn't stored in their contacts. Samsung will remove that for you also.

BTW I called my phone provider in Australia, Optus and they said it's a Samsung issue, not a network provider issue as all my phone provider does is manage calls. They are correct which normally I would argue with them. lol It is a Samsung issue as you are using a device manufactured with them.

0 Likes
TomD1
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

I'm from Australia. I can't find the screen you Mentioned. Can you please write a step by step or a screen shot. I own an S20 ultra

0 Likes
TomD1
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

All good. I found it. Thank you

0 Likes
Rosco7
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

My Samsung 10 does that too  - repeatedly shockingly BAD . Received calls have correct number but the name is way off. The name of the business calling  can be 20-30 km away from the name of the business showing  eg recent business was a tool retailer in Thomastown (Melbourne) but the name coming up was   ***** Dance Centre - Murrumbeena Campus!!   Not even anywhere close!!.   RACV recent call received came up as Doncaster Shoe Repairs who has a totally different phone number  - again not anywhere close. 

"What The....?? "  what is the point of this Samsung service when it is so BADLY incorrect .  It cant be a business number used in the past  when 2 businesses  have been in existed for  many years and / or  in totally different suburbs - different Telstra telephone area code 

0 Likes