Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery drain after Android 12 update

(Topic created on: 24-01-2022 04:43 PM)
Patarchy
Apprentice
Options

Hi there,

I have a S10 Spanish version (PHE). I have installed the last OTA update. (see software details at the end of this post)
Since then I have experienced battery drain. I consume twice more than before the update.
I use to charge my phone up to 75% and I use it until the end of the day (08:00 PM) with 25% remaining. Since the update to android 12, I am at 25% battery remaining at 02:00 PM.

After updating, I have boot in recovery wipe the cache. I have tried to wipe again the cache and run the Repair App. Same issue.
I have look to the "battery & maintenance care" and no app looks to consume more than before the update.
I have also done a "Reset App preferences" and reboot multiple time the device.

I use Tinycore for years and for CPU frequency since android 10. I can see that the frequency never stay to the minimum, always between 30% and 50%. Before update it use to be at minimum when idle but screen on. --> I am totally unable to figure out what generate this CPU usage.
BTW, when the phone is idle with screen off, I do not have the battery drain issue. Only have battery drain when I use the phone (Screen on)

How can I sort this out?
How can I diagnose the culprit app or service?

As a specificity, I use Package Disabler Pro.

Thanks for your help.

Screenshot_20220124-163134_Settings.jpg

46 REPLIES 46
Hadoken
Student
Options

I seem to have resolved my battery drain!  Now on 73% after 7.5 hours light usage, 1 hour SoT. Before it would be in the 40s already by now.

Went into maintenance mode - hold vol up, bixby and power buttons with phone off and while usb cable is connect to PC.

Selected, Wipe Cache and repair Apps.

DUSKvsDAWN
Explorer
Options

I have updated my phone a few days ago and I have the same problem. I charged it to 100% this morning and went to take a nap. Without touching it at all since then, with screen off obviously, it lost 10%. Which is insane. This update doesn't sit well with me for many reasons and this is one of them.

I do have the S20 though, but same problem.

jcg11
Apprentice
Options

Thanks a lot, I did this today and it seems to have restored my battery drain to the same level as before the update.

0 Likes
Sericus
Apprentice
Options

I tried this a few days ago, hasn't helped. What does having USB cable connected to PC do for this?

I tried putting all apps in deep sleep. No go. Now my phone lives on battery saving mode and still get ***** battery. What the hell is up with this update? Clearly Samsung/Google has to see there are problems... 

DUSKvsDAWN
Explorer
Options

having something in the usb port should help you be able to boot it into recovery mode. my phone was unable to boot in there without having something in the usb port as well. no idea why, but after simply plugging in my headphones, it worked.

as for the buggy update, i did some more digging and found somewhere that Samsung is aware of the problems this update brings and will try out to roll a patch asap. So I guess we just gotta wait for that.

0 Likes
jcg11
Apprentice
Options

Before Android 11 you could boot into recovery mode by pressing the home button (or Bixby button on S10) and volume up when switching the phone on. From Android 11 Google made it so you needed to have something connected to the USB port, I guess so somebody couldn't pick up your phone and then wipe it using the recovery options.

There' a thread on it here;

https://r2.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-M/How-to-enter-into-recovery-mode-on-galaxy-s10-after-and...

Once you've managed to get the recovery mode you can select wipe cache and repair apps, you do this using the volume buttons and selecting the option with the power button.

DUSKvsDAWN
Explorer
Options

i think it's really stupid you need to have something plugged in now though. kinda inconvenient. not too bad, but not easy either ya know.

0 Likes
Chris_Vamp
First Poster
Options

Same problem here, not only has battery life gone from a day and a half of regular use to maybe 6 hours of mild use...but I notice that charging takes a LOT longer as well. Hurry up Samsung, if there were problems should you really have rolled it out?

Demetria13
First Poster
Options

Having the exact same problem. My phone was at 10% when I was getting into bed. It died 2 minutes later. The battery settings said I had 35 minutes left with 5%, and it dropped 1% per minute, just sitting in PokemonGo. 2 hours of solid use and phone is down to 50%, which was NOT normal, before the update. 

How/who do we report this major issue to? The battery drain is clearly from the forced update. 

Braticevici
First Poster
Options

UK Note 10+  after Android 12 update battery drain is a big problem.

Before the update, I would use the phone all day  and still have 15%-20% at the end of the day

I have reset the device and used it for a few days with no apps installed and the battery drain is still a problem (battery is new, replaced by Samsung service last year in June-July  )