Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASHA technology

(Topic created on: 12-10-2022 09:19 AM)
Marcin ASHA
Journeyman
Options

Dear Sirs,

Do you have information about the list of smartphones that have ASHA (Audio Streaming for Hearing Aid) technology. The official distributor in Poland has no idea which models have ASHA technology, hence this post.
I know that ASHA technology requires Android 10 and BT5, but unfortunately not all smartphone models with these systems have ASHA technology activated. My questions:
- can ASHA technology be run on smartphones other than S10 / S20 / Note9?
- what is inherent in ASHA, that it is available only in premium models so far
- do you know other models from brands other than Samsung that have ASHA technology

Details for ASHA:
https://source.android.com/devices/bluetooth/asha?hl=en

35 REPLIES 35
okthought
First Poster
Options

Marcin, you talk about "ASHA technology" or "ASHA function" as if it were monolithic.  However, it appears to have at least two functions,  So, even if a phone supports one of these, it may not support the other one.  I think this may be why you and hansopanso disagree about the S9.

Also, the term "compatibility" is a very general term that may include whether a phone app can communicate with a hearing aid as a remote control.  For example, halfway down the page, Oticon USA's https://www.oticon.com/support/compatibility has a long list of Android devices compatible with Oticon hearing ***** and Oticon apps.

The earlier section Introducing Hands-free Communication does not list any models of Oticon hearing aid that support "hands-free phone or video calls" with Android devices.  However, the section One-way direct streaming from Android devices states that a limited list of Oticon models use ASHA technology to support "one‑way direct streaming" (such as listening to music) from a list of recent Samsung phones, including S9.

So, Oticon seems to be telling us that some of its hearing ***** use ASHA to support (one‑way) music streaming with some Android devices, but not yet (two‑way) calls, even though ASHA is capable of supporting calls.

Apple was able to deliver a large user‑base and its Low Energy Audio (LEA) protocol to the hearing aid industry and Android is playing catch‑up.

0 Likes
Hearingaid ASHA Supp
First Poster
Options

YES, very well. Since I am using Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G for last one year. 

0 Likes
janeway
Journeyman
Options

Any news re ASHA compatibility?

iNathy96
Student
Options

Any update on the list of ASHA enabled devices Samsung offer 

0 Likes
Solution
KholaI
Options

Hi all,

Apologies for the delay but I've finally received an update on the matter! If you click on the following link, you'll be able to view all the compatible phones: https://www.cellcom.com/accessibility.html#hac

janeway
Journeyman
Options

Hi Kholal

Thank you so much for the update.

Is there a reason why the A52s isn't compatible?? It is one of the highest specs on the A series yet many below it are compatible. It is a very similar spec to the highest ranking A53 which is compatible.

I'm gutted.

0 Likes
CD14
Apprentice
Options

To whom it may concern: I have 2 WIDEX hearing ***** and I cannot stream telephone calls, music, etc. from my Motorola Moto g(30) which is consequently not compatible with ASHA but I can stream everything via Bluetooth to my wife's smartphone Samsung A12 which is a simple low budget smartphone and consequently ASHA compatible...

0 Likes
Rumelik
Journeyman
Options

I have a Samsung Galaxy A41 with Android 12 and the ASHA settings are nowhere to be found.   Such a basic feature should be available as standard.  It is on iPhones.

0 Likes
Members_V3brQc6
Student
Options

Hello Rumelik, as I posted on 05-11-2022, I have a very simple low budget Galaxy A12 and it works fine. I bought a new A13 because the A12 was from my wife and the newer A13 doesn't work at all... Understand who can!

You can try this: go to the settings menu of your phone --> accessibility ---> hearing improvements ---> support hearing aid ---> bluetooth hearing aid. Once you have reached this, pair your hearing aid. Please note that this is a translation from Dutch to English language, so maybe you will have to use your imagination.

I hope it will work for you. If you don't find the 'Hearing improvement' option, I think unfortunately it will not work on your Galaxy A41. Wish you good luck!

Rumelik
Journeyman
Options

Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to reply.  My menu options are as follows:

phone --> accessibility ---> hearing enhancements  (not "improvements") --> and there are seven choices: Live transcribe, Live caption, Caption Preference, Adapt Sound, Mute all sounds, Mono audio, Left/right sound balance. - No sign of "support hearing aid", unless I am looking in the wrong place.  You would think, on a newer phone that there may be a way of installing this but I can't find anything in the Galaxy Store or Play Store.   By the way your translation is very good, no imagination needed.

0 Likes