Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Original topic:

An SD card was removed unsafely. To prevent your phone from restarting... notification

(Topic created on: 17-05-2021 03:53 PM)
utopic
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

Ever since the big update to Android 11 / One UI 3 I've been getting the

"An SD card was removed unsafely. To prevent your phone from restarting unexpectedly, save unsaved data and restart your phone"

notification, many times a day.

After the update and prior to having this error, I have not messed with the card or the SIM, connected the phone to the PC, dropped the phone or done anything that might lead to this - the card had been inserted months ago in the phone and left untouched.

I don't seem to have any issues using the phone, can access the card OK for both reading & writing. 

I can't turn the bloody notification off and it's driving me up the wall as I'm getting it even during the night.

Have tried:

• restarting the phone
  • unmounting the card and restarting the phone
  • physically removing and card from the phone and putting it back
  • removing the card and error checking it (in windows, using a card reader)
  • copying the card contents to the PC, formatting the card in the phone, then copying the contents back (via the windows file explorer)
  • getting into the recovery mode (which was pain the *ss) and wiping the dalvik cache
  • full/factory reset

The model # is SM-G970F/DS, kernel version is 4.14.113-20607146, latest available updates are installed, phone is stock, non rooted, non carrier locked.

Any suggestions?

179 REPLIES 179
FUXXY
Student
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

Change the ui app setting to allow the media and storage to allow and the contact should fix it settings>apps>UI app>permissions  should fix it hopefully 

0 Likes
utopic
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

I think he meant you can leave the SD card in the phone, just unmount it from the settings menu and it will appear as removed until the next phone restart, as opposed to physically removing it.

0 Likes
utopic
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

I'll try your suggestion, let's see if it works for me.

0 Likes
cjvonhelmut
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

Since that last update I'm still problem free... anybody else been able to update? Did it fix it for you?

0 Likes
Agi4
Journeyman
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

Latest A72 update...AUD2   not fixed for me.  Get msg multiple times a day

0 Likes
Vasileh
Journeyman
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

I also get the annoying SD card notification on my A52 5g, i have A526BXXU1AUD6/ A526BOXM1AUD6/ A526BXXU1AUD6 firmware.

0 Likes
FUXXY
Student
Options
Galaxy S10 Series
The message if you've left it up on the notifications would disappear
0 Likes
A52-User
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

I appreciate all the suggestions and have tried them all. But nope, unfortunately none of them works for the A52-5G. 

Again I will say that Samsung is aware of the issue and said the problem will be fixed in the next software update. So I will be patient and wait. 

0 Likes
A52-User
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

Hi guys,

I've been following this thread since I purchased the A52-5G a couple weeks ago.

For those of you thinking about returning or exchanging your new phone the problem is not hardware, and a software update to resolve the SD card error is coming soon. Possibly in the next two to four weeks.

Here's what's causing the actual problem.

After clock gating / ungating with the state of speed class of SDR104,
timeout occurs at the first command (CMD13 or CMD23), SD attempts to remove and recover
- in the process, card remove uevent is delivered to the volume daemon and a pop-up for forced removal is displayed.

SD forced removal pop-up is a new R-OS update applied by volume daemon.

Pop-up is displayed when external storage device (USB, SD) are removed without unmount.

Problem countermeasures:
Issue will be fixed in next software update.

At least that's the way it was described to me in translation.  :smiling-face: 

Daa
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

Yes, it's software not hardware. My phone is not new and it was working well until the big update to Android 11. After that this sd card notification constantly started popping up and I also needed to update Samsung notes because I could not open them, and also some addition so I could look at my notes before the update 😒.

Thank you for writing detailed explanation, hopefully nothing else will be messed up after that new update 😁

Edit: About this "Pop-up is displayed when external storage device (USB, SD) are removed without unmount." , to me it pops up even when I unmount it. I mean, I don't remove it, just unmount but it still pops up.

0 Likes