Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Original topic:

An SD card was removed unsafely. To prevent your phone from restarting... notification

(Topic created on: 10-04-2021 12:03 PM)
utopic
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

Ever since the big update to Android 11 / One UI 3 I've been getting the

"An SD card was removed unsafely. To prevent your phone from restarting unexpectedly, save unsaved data and restart your phone"

notification, many times a day.

After the update and prior to having this error, I have not messed with the card or the SIM, connected the phone to the PC, dropped the phone or done anything that might lead to this - the card had been inserted months ago in the phone and left untouched.

I don't seem to have any issues using the phone, can access the card OK for both reading & writing. 

I can't turn the bloody notification off and it's driving me up the wall as I'm getting it even during the night.

Have tried:

• restarting the phone
  • unmounting the card and restarting the phone
  • physically removing and card from the phone and putting it back
  • removing the card and error checking it (in windows, using a card reader)
  • copying the card contents to the PC, formatting the card in the phone, then copying the contents back (via the windows file explorer)
  • getting into the recovery mode (which was pain the *ss) and wiping the dalvik cache
  • full/factory reset

The model # is SM-G970F/DS, kernel version is 4.14.113-20607146, latest available updates are installed, phone is stock, non rooted, non carrier locked.

Any suggestions?

176 REPLIES 176
Billy Pham
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

Hey guy. I think I found the way to fix this issue on the A52. In the Setting, you go to the Display, then you choose Motion smoothness -> choose Standard. After doing that, you can put sd card to your phone and format it. Then you can use it just fine without receiving notification. 

0 Likes
MirkoGhi
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S10 Series
@Billy Pham wrote:

Hey guy. I think I found the way to fix this issue on the A52. In the Setting, you go to the Display, then you choose Motion smoothness -> choose Standard. After doing that, you can put sd card to your phone and format it. Then you can use it just fine without receiving notification. 

nope, just got the notification on A72 while on 60hz refresh rate... that woould have been cool to report to the software department. i'm getting a replacement anyway, it will come on friday. but i'm afraid that i will have the same issue all over again...

Nold1996
Journeyman
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

Hi.

Can you update me later about your replacement phone later? Is the problem still occurred even with new replacement? 

Because i was thinking also about replacing my new A52. Huhu

Thank you!

0 Likes
MirkoGhi
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

Sure, I'll update asap after it arrives. Did you report the error? What did they say? If not please do so even if you plan on returning it. It might help everyone else. Thanks! 

0 Likes
a72_9393
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

I also have this issue with my A72... It happened soon as I started using the phone. Also though today after ~1.5 weeks of using the phone it also said the Sim card was not inserted, so had to restart phone and it is now working as normal again. That sim card issue has only happened once though the SD card is all the time, only works for ~1 hr after a phone restart before saying unsafely removed. As others report the SD card works fine on my old phone.

I reported to technical support, they say this is not a known issue, even though I sent them a link to this forum.

They offered a replacement phone as I am in the 28 days, though i am not keen to do this as I need to send this A72 phone back first, which means I need to transfer the contents back to my old phone then move onto the new one.

Hopping a software update can fix this, but do let us know if the replacement fixes it for you though, as then that could mean this is perhaps a hardware related issue? 

MirkoGhi
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

They are stressing the fact that I must get my phone checked for hardware issue and not even responding to the fact that I pointed them to this thread (this is Via Samsung board and via the issue report from). I'm really feeling like returning it and be done with it. This is a big issue for me on a new phone so be sure I'll update you all tomorrow 

utopic
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

I have finally managed to report the issue to Samsung using that Members app which I had to install, as well as through their technical support contact form.

I've also pointed them to this thread.

Let's see what happens.

BTW, ever since I started getting the notification, the phone & card have actually worked fine together.

Billy Pham
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

Any update?

0 Likes
MirkoGhi
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

i'm testing and i don't know what to say... as for now (half a day of usage) i have not seen the notification. i'm using the old phone in tandem, and there i've seen 3 or 4 notification of sd removed. i even tried swapping the sim/sd tray and the notification only appears on the first device.

on another note, the new device has a completely diffent vibration feel while pressing buttons (in a bad way) it feels like it is a motor out of battery or something loose... with messages and call vibrations is a lot less noticeable tho.

how the hell does samsung manufactures these smartphones?

i've also noticed some sporadic stutters while recording stabilyzed video (not in every recording). but i didn't test it out much on the first device. as for now i've seen stutters only on the second one (might be a card issue this time, even tho it is a sandisk extreme pro, so it shouldn't stutter at all.. but it has at least 3 years of usage so go figure...) 

i still can keep both devices for a while and decide which one to return. but i guess i'm keeping the second one despite the worse vibration feedback. it still sound very very weird that lots of you are having the same issue, even on older devices, and that it has appeared after android 11 update...

any of you got reply from the report form? to me they just said 2 times (with a default message) that i had to bring it to a local service to get the hardware checked...)

Update: seems like the stutter while recording video happens on both devices and with any SD inserted.

Last thing I want to do is to factory reset the first phone and try again if the sd error persist. Then I'll make my final decision.

Update 2: after one day and half of usage, the new phone works well with any sd card. The other one shows the error even right after a full factory reset without any account linked. I'm returning it and keeping the other one. Still, I believe that there is some kind of software issue going on...

Good luck everyone. I'll keep an eye on this post to be updated on your experiences. 

Apollo3110
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

This issue started for  me also after a software update on my A70. Apart from the anoying notification, no further issues though. 

0 Likes