Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Original topic:

An SD card was removed unsafely. To prevent your phone from restarting... notification

(Topic created on: 02-04-2021 11:46 AM)
utopic
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

Ever since the big update to Android 11 / One UI 3 I've been getting the

"An SD card was removed unsafely. To prevent your phone from restarting unexpectedly, save unsaved data and restart your phone"

notification, many times a day.

After the update and prior to having this error, I have not messed with the card or the SIM, connected the phone to the PC, dropped the phone or done anything that might lead to this - the card had been inserted months ago in the phone and left untouched.

I don't seem to have any issues using the phone, can access the card OK for both reading & writing. 

I can't turn the bloody notification off and it's driving me up the wall as I'm getting it even during the night.

Have tried:

• restarting the phone
  • unmounting the card and restarting the phone
  • physically removing and card from the phone and putting it back
  • removing the card and error checking it (in windows, using a card reader)
  • copying the card contents to the PC, formatting the card in the phone, then copying the contents back (via the windows file explorer)
  • getting into the recovery mode (which was pain the *ss) and wiping the dalvik cache
  • full/factory reset

The model # is SM-G970F/DS, kernel version is 4.14.113-20607146, latest available updates are installed, phone is stock, non rooted, non carrier locked.

Any suggestions?

176 REPLIES 176
Nold1996
Journeyman
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

Hi

Do you mind sharing the steps for recovery mode process? 

Currently im having problem sd card with my new A52. Huhu. Tq

0 Likes
utopic
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

Hi,

For the S10e this is what I've used: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHdo3hRsxsw

Keep in mind that the A52 might have a different process & also, I've had to make many attempts until I could get into the recovery mode (which makes little sense to me since I was essentially doing the same thing).

Nold1996
Journeyman
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

Hi. 

So i managed to enter recovery mode with Samsung A52. After done clear cache i still get the notifications regards sd Cards being removed. 

This is so frustrating. I just bought the phone. Huhu. 

LasseChristian
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

There are some other threads about this topic and its clear that issue occurs on android 11 phones with UI3.0 (S10, S20FE, A52, A52 5G, A72)

There is no solution so far, neither reset, chache swipe, new sd card, format sd card, smashing it against the wall..all just a waste of time, it will not help.

The only possibility to get rid of this is to constantly report issue directly to samsung support in hope to get an system update soon.

MirkoGhi
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

absolutely agree with @LasseChristian, i've tried samsung evo plus 32gb card, sandisk 64 and 128 extreme and extreme pro, booted in safe mode, even inserted the sd card without the sim (they suggested me to do that). all sd cards workd flawlessly on other devices. i'm tempted to return the phone and get a replacement one (i can do that with my warranty) but i feel like this wont solve the issue either. 

please @everyone report it following this guide https://www.samsung.com/latin_en/support/mobile-devices/how-to-report-error-using-samsung-members-ap...

to make it quicker they asked me to make the report 3 mins max afer the error occured, and to describe exactly what you did before the error appeared. then finally check the send system log data report. this way they can investigate properly and give us a bugfix. it cannot be all faulty hadware units...

JW2142
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S10 Series
Similar issues on my SD card (Samsung 256GB) frequently being reported as being removed unsafely on Galaxy A52 5G. Have formatted and reinserted the card but no luck. Going to check the card against the computer. It feels like a software more than a hardware issue as beyond the pinging of the error message I can still write and read files to the card.
Billy Pham
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

What brand of sd card you use? I have the same issue with my galaxy a52

MirkoGhi
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

@Billy Pham wrote:

What brand of sd card you use? I have the same issue with my galaxy a52

seems like card type doesen't matter. i even went into a local shop and they refused to sell me a new sd card (!!!) because they had another customer with the same problem on an A52. very honest on their side. what card did you use anyway? might be useful information anyway.

but please fill a report as stated above if you didn't already. it might be our only chance to get a fix asap!

@JW2142 wrote:
Similar issues on my SD card (Samsung 256GB) frequently being reported as being removed unsafely on Galaxy A52 5G. Have formatted and reinserted the card but no luck. Going to check the card against the computer. It feels like a software more than a hardware issue as beyond the pinging of the error message I can still write and read files to the card.

yeah, see above... usually i don't have trouble using the sd, but sometimes it just becomes impossible to be written (like the photos app cannot save anything) also the message is exceedingly frequent). looks like as more ppl starts buying these new phones more ppl are noticing the problem. have you filled a report yet? they are fast on replying and very professional. i'm liking samsung support so far.

Billy Pham
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

Yeah. I have already reported. I also went to local Samsung Service but it seems that they do not know about this issue and how to fix. This is really annoying !!! 

MirkoGhi
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

@Billy Pham wrote:

Yeah. I have already reported. I also went to local Samsung Service but it seems that they do not know about this issue and how to fix. This is really annoying !!! 

same, at local samsung service they just told me to use a new sd.. and that they never heared of the issue. but maybe i't because the phones are new. also not many ppl even care about using a sd card, so fewer are reporting... (of course trying a new sd didn't work at all..) let's hope in the software department. let's keep in touch :smiling-face: