Original topic:

A feature request to add functionality to the s10e fingerprint reader gestures

(Topic created on: 25/02/20 13:58)
tohtorizorro
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

Hello,

While I've been super happy with my new S10e (transitioned from S7) I have found locking the screen just a bit cumbersome. As my old phone had a regular power button on the side, I just used to slide my finger along the side until the button got depressed and locked the screen. Now I find it a bit laborous since the power button (a.k.a finger print reader) in S10e is slightly recessed and I seem to intuitively hold my finger on the reader expecting it to lock the screen (the same way it unlocks it).

So, my main suggestion is that along with the swipe gestures of the fingerprint reader, there should be on option to what happens after just holding one's finger on the reader for certain (preferably customizable) time when the screen is already on. The reader would not have to scan for a fingerprint at this point but just register when the reader is being touched for long enough.

I'd be interested in hearing about third party apps or other workarounds that could do this too ofcourse.

Mikko Rintala
Finland

5 REPLIES 5
AntS
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

Hi @tohtorizorro,

Cheers! I've passed this on to our R&D team - and we'll let you know what the developers say! :smiling-face::thumbs-up-sign-emoji-modifier-fitzpatrick-type:

tohtorizorro
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S10 Series
awesome!
0 Likes
tohtorizorro
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

I just realised that even a chance to add a custom command to up/down swiping instead of just using it to open and close notifications panel would be great and good enough solution for my problem.

cheers!

AntS
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

@tohtorizorro , The developers have got back to us.

Beyond what's already there for "fingerprint gesture" (e.g. for Samsung Pay and System UI) they've advised that there's no plans to add any further fingerprint gesture functionality e.g. customisation of action like you've suggested. Ultimately, the developers felt that that additional function mapping of the fingerprint feature would lead to more negative user experiences than positive ones with it  (e.g. users might not always remember in a particular situation the exact mapping they did - and that can be quite frustrating if you're wanting to do something in a hurry).

0 Likes
tohtorizorro
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S10 Series

I get that and totally see that the cost of freedom here is acceptable for the sake of a better UI / UX, but the current option to pull down notifications is so impractical / non-ergonomic that on those grounds the whole thing shoul've been left unimplemented. At least in my limited perspective.

Anyway, it is a wonderful phone (with a wonderfully sleek form factor unlike most of the flagship tier phones). But now that I got my awesome Quad Lock case and the sensor is a tad bit more difficult to reach, i really hope there would at least be a possibilty to use the sensor as a simple on/off touch sensor. Like:

If the sensor hasn't been touched in the last x milliseconds {

if screen is OFF and the sensor is touched {

-> unlock phone }

if screen is ON and the sensor is touched {

-> unlock phone }

}

Maybe something solvable by a Kotlin hobbyist

0 Likes