Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching on just Text to Speech

(Topic created on: 02-01-2021 12:28 AM)
Infobleep
Explorer
Options
Hi there.

How do I only switch on text to speech on my Android phone and have all other accessibility functions switched off? 

I'm dyslexic and would find it useful to have text read back to my that I've selected. However, this doesn't extend to menu items. I find everything else being spoken to me annoying. I'm not blind, just dyslexic and my dyslexics needs doesn't extend to everything being spoken.

On a work Moto G5, I see there is an option to switch on just Text to Speech but on my Note 9 all I can see if an option to switch on the voice assistant. 

When I switch that one it wants to turn off secure startup. That doesn't sound very secure to me. 

I did a search online for "turn off secure startup" "samsung" "voice assistant" and to my surprise only one link was returned and this was on how to downgrade android firmware without a PC!

Still at least there will be 2 links now I've posted this! 

Samsung make the phone. The option is Voice assistant and the message that comes up is Turn off secure startup. Thus I would have expected more results!
0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11
Infobleep
Explorer
Options
Having done further research it now appears even Google are not dyslexia friendly, unless you also happen to be blind or partially sighted. You can't only have text to speech switched on. You have to have everything spoken to you, with all the navigation changed or nothing

I have asked in another forum but it seems it's going to be another thing I give up on.

Perhaps I should only restrict myself to older Android devices. Would seems shame to do so.
0 Likes
Infobleep
Explorer
Options
I have now resolved the problem by accident. I was using another app that said to do something I need to turn it on.

This took me to installed services screen, which is located off the accessibility screen.

Not sure why I didn't come across this before but I sure didn't come across any help getting me here.

Perhaps it is poorly documented. Even an undocumented software feature, abet this one isn't a bug.

Still it's now working as expected and maybe my reply will help others struggling.

I do have the Android accessibility suite installed, if that makes any difference.
0 Likes