Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sansung update not official

(Topic created on: 26-05-2020 01:42 PM)
Ma_d
Journeyman
Options

Hi,

My phone was out of my posession while I was in hospital in Singapore. I am now back in UK.

It now has no Knox and Samsung pay does not work. 

My calls are being forwarded unconditionally and my usual contact centres to my bank, which are usually UK, are being forwarded to South Asia, to which the centres hung up twice and refused to forward calls to the fraud detection team. 

My device says it is not rooted by apps, but Root Spy shows that the files are definitely not normal and I do not have access to some as I am not SU and cannot grant myself SU as it's claiming it's not rooted. 

I think this phone is now just worthy for the bin but I do want to get it checked over so someone can find out what the issues are and how to prevent them. 

The vodaphone sim service app is constantly moving and the OS UI is quite trashy. 

I am worried about connecting it to any PC to clean wipe as I'm unsure of the capabilities of the device to infect others. My laptop was mysteriously damaged while I was in hospital. 

The phone seems to want an update every month, with 'improvements' to monitoring services like NFC and other overlays. 

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7
TessM
Mastermind
Options

Hey @Ma_d ,

thanks for bringing this to my attention. Has the phone being locked away during the time that you were in the hospital? It looks like something have changed on it. If you'd like, you can get this examined by one of our engineers in the UK once that our Support Centres open their doors again. 

0 Likes
Ma_d
Journeyman
Options
I'll happily send the device in.

I was in an accident and the phone was handed in so from that time frame I don't know where the device could have been. I can provide screenshots of the system for better clarification and to see the extent of the infection/stalkware. It is most definitely an infection in the bootloader as a factory reset has not worked.

Using the dial codes to access menus does not work for some settings.
0 Likes
TessM
Mastermind
Options

I would like you to check if your phone has been rooted. To do this you just need to follow these steps:

• When turning on the phone press and hold the Power, Volume Down, and Home Buttons.
• When the Warning Screen appears press Volume Up.
• The top left-hand corner of the phone should then display some text. Can you send me a picture of this? ^TM

0 Likes
Ma_d
Journeyman
Options

Nothing happens. The screen just loads up as normal and no menu appears. If I dob't release the buttons the device just continues to restart itself after loading 'Samsung powered by Knox'

0 Likes
TessM
Mastermind
Options

That is odd as this should display a menu. Anyway, if you'd like you can get this examined by one of our colleagues: https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/contact/

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options

Yeah it looks like that the phone may have been manipulated by someone. Follow @TessM advice and have it checked straight away by a samsung engineer.

0 Likes
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@Ma_d 

Log out of everything and change all your passwords for everything now please.

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

0 Likes