Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note 9 not charging

(Topic created on: 09-06-2022 06:54 PM)
DavidDerby
Apprentice
Options

Hi, I've a Note 9 that last night started the "connect/ disconnect" beeping constantly every tine I tried to charge it. I left it overnight and this morning it's not beeping anymore, but not charging. I tried a different cable and charger socket with the same negative result. When I plug it in via the cable to a laptop the laptop reports "Power surge in the USB, device needs more power than the usb can supply". With hindsight, I then did a silly thing and used the same  cable with another Samsung phone, which is now doing the exact same thing! I can only assume the charger cables/ sockets have got contaminated with something (moisture?) that is causing some sort of short circuit. Any tips on how I can solve this problem please? Many thanks, David

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6
Bigtasty65
Hotshot
Options
I had the exact same issue but with my Tab S7+, here in the UK.
Had to take it back to my nearest Samsung store (50 miles away!) to be fixed. They didn't give me any reason as to what went wrong but they fixed it without any quibble. There was no cost but it was still under guarantee .
0 Likes
DavidDerby
Apprentice
Options

Thanks for this. I bought a wireless charger (from Argos, ordered 8pm, delivered 12 hours later, amazing service) and my Note is charging fine again, all be it very s-l-o-w-l-y! My latest theory is that the charger unit I plug into the mains has gone faulty (when I plug it into the mains with nothing attached it buzzes) which has sent some sort of surge through the charging cable and blown something inside my Note that governs the wired charging. The silly thing I did though was initially assume it was my Note that had gone wrong first, and used the same plug in charger to try with my second Note, blowing that phone as well!! Neither are in warranty, so that's a £200 repair bill to get them both fixed! Oh well, we learn!

Bigtasty65
Hotshot
Options
Do you use/buy genuine Samsung chargers? I always use genuine one's. I've stuck with Samsung for a very long time and amassed loads of chargers over the years. In my case I knew it was nothing to do with the charger. So the problem was definitely the port. I'd a feeling that it was something to do with the large software update I'd not long installed just before the problem occurred. They never admitted that in the Samsung service centre at Trafford Park in Manchester. I suppose I'll never know but it was a big coincidence with the software update.
0 Likes
DavidDerby
Apprentice
Options

Hi, yes, it was an original Samsung charger that came with the phone. It's definitely faulty now as it's buzzing like I said, with no cable attached to it. If I had the right equipment I could probably put a meter across it and see what it was putting out. 

0 Likes
Bigtasty65
Hotshot
Options
Yep, definitely faulty if it's buzzing.
Changing the subject for a second.... Do you know if you can change the font size settings for this Samsung Members app? I've increased the font size in the phone settings but it's not made any difference. I'm not totally as blind as a bat yet, but I'm getting there! Lol.
0 Likes
DavidDerby
Apprentice
Options

More sizzling than buzzing to be honest (but I don't plug it in for more than half a second!)

I'm still using this on my laptop while my Note slowly charges wirelessly, so not sure about the app. I must admit I got the Note 9 so it has a nice large screen for my rapidly failing, aged eyesight! When folding screens are perfected technology (and cheaper!) I'll be first in the queue!