Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Note 9 Back Cover Cracks

(Topic created on: 27-01-2021 01:17 PM)
Ronny Carol
Explorer
Options

I've had my Note 9 about a year and a half.  I have had to replace the back cover 3 times, now. 

It will show grazing, and then will crack.  This is always where the battery is located. 

I have a case and screen protector, always.  It is not impact related.

It is because if the heat generated. 

Has anyone else had this issue? 

25 REPLIES 25
CrazyTom2k2
Helping Hand
Options
Hey Ronny,

Would you be able to share a photo of the damage?

The only components at the bottom of the handset under the Note9 logo are the lower section of the battery, the speaker, or the USB/3.5mm jacks. So I'm genuinely not sure what it could be.

Could I also ask where you're sourcing the replacement panels from, and if you're using the same supplier for all of the panels?

All the best,
Tom 🙂
0 Likes
Ronny Carol
Explorer
Options

Here is a diagram. Red, grazing. Yellow, approximate cracks. 

This is the third time this same thing has happened. 

The covers are all OEM.  The first, of course, the original. 

Do you think it may be the wireless charger? 

When I first got the phone, I pretty much only charged it wirelessly.  I stopped doing that when I thought that was what was getting too hot. 

But, now, it's happened two more times. 

Screenshot_20210127-070735_Gallery.jpg

Ronny Carol
Explorer
Options

It is a Samsung battery.  I've been inside, more than once😕

0 Likes
CrazyTom2k2
Helping Hand
Options
I'm gonna be honest, I guess it could be the wireless charger.

Now here's why I don't think it is - I know with Samsung's Wireless Chargers, they cushion the bottom of them. In terms of anything going through the cover, if it was wireless-charging related, I reckon the marks would be higher up than they are.

You mentioned that you've got a case on your phone - what case are you using? As the damage is on the outside of the glass, I'm wondering if the case has anything to do with it 🤔.

But nah, I don't see why the glass would crack with heat - phone glass should be able to withstand heat. Your AMOLED panel would probably be having issues if your phone was heating up enough to cause damage to the glass (hope that makes sense, see some of JerryRigEverything's burn tests).

Hope that helps,
Tom 🙂

step7082_file21702_1250_7540.jpg

SCGahE4aRRSjcGej.full_7539.jpg

TessM
Mastermind
Options

Hey @Ronny Carol , I would suggest having this examined by one of our engineers so they can find what has caused this and advise you further. Please contact our Support Team to get this arranged. Find all their contact details here: https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/contact/

Ronny Carol
Explorer
Options

Sure appreciate your help on this, Tom. 

I've had two different cases.  First one, a two piece.  That was the one I had for the first two cracking incident. 

Now, I have this case. 

The grazing is what makes me think it's heat related.  From your diagrams, it would be the battery, 

I'm going to change it out and see if that fixes it. 

Thanks so much, Tom! 

Screenshot_20210127-082432_Chrome.jpg

Ronny Carol
Explorer
Options

Tess, I have contacted support, twice. Said there are no reports on this issue. 

Suggested the case is causing it.  But, I've had two different cases.  Same exact thing happens.  Same grazing. Same crack location, pattern. 

Then, I get referred to an Authorized Repair. 

0 Likes
CrazyTom2k2
Helping Hand
Options
No problem, glad I could help you!

If you're looking for a repair from Samsung, you can book a doorstop repair here - https://samsungrepair.com (think they're a WeFix franchise, but they're officially recognised by Samsung). You can also follow the link that @TessM shared!

Otherwise, if you want to go ahead and disassemble the handset yourself, that's okay too! Just be careful with your battery and your glass, as they can be dangerous/cause injury if damaged. You've probably already sussed that though.

Best wishes,
Tom 🙂
Ronny Carol
Explorer
Options

You're the best, Tom😀

APARMAR
Troubleshooter
Options
Oh ok
0 Likes