Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corrupted SD card whilst coping/moving files

(Topic created on: 28-01-2021 12:44 AM)
Infobleep
Explorer
Options
I was moving some photos from my internal storage to SanDisk SD Card. I have a Note 9.

Whilst it was doing so, slowly, the SD card corrupted. I was using ES File Explorer Pro to do the transfer.

Now I can't access the storage. What are my chances of recovering anything?

I do have the photos backed up with Google Photos but I like to have a local copy and I couldn't say what was on my SD card in order to just download those ones from Google Photos.

Can anyone tell me what storage format is used for the SD cards? Is it FAT32? 

My Macbook, running OS Mountain Lion, couldn't read the card but said it was. 

Cheers
0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11
Infobleep
Explorer
Options
So after I started moving off the files, the Windows machine decided to go to sleep at one point. In fact more than once.

I got to a stage where I wasn't sure if everything was off and if it was, whether it was fully off and not half copied.

I found a lot of files in the Camera folder, although others were empty.

So I tried using rich copy.

Eventually this was taking so long I gave up on it.

Suddenly though I found some of the file returned.

After restarting the laptop, all the files and folders returned! It's a bit like zombies that won't die.

I then found a free app called freefilesync. This allowed me to compare filesizes. It found no differences and after checking a few I was happy.

So I have just formatted the micro SD card on my phone.

Now for the reason why this occurred.

I have a lot of photos and videos and some of these I wish to share on Facebook. They go back quite some months so I decided to out them into separate folders on my internal storage. This would make them easier to find on Facebook to share.

Alas once you do that the Facebook app complains the videos are less than a second in length. It appears it complains if the videos are in any other folder or subfolder than 'Camera'. Photos are fine and the previews for the videos play.

On Facebook messenger they also show up as 0 seconds but you can at least share them. On Facebook it says you cannot share videos less than 1 second in lengths.

However bizarrely,, this isn't the case if you put the videos on the micro SD card. So I set about trying to move them across using File Explorer Pro.

It was very slow and sometimes the phone would lock up. I was also doing program updates and installs. During this. Time two files corrupted when attempting to copy and that is what caused today's shanagons.

I doubt Facebook will fix the problem anytime soon. Their Android app and I think iOS app also, have come from a buggy upbringing. It use to be common for the app to have bugs when the Web Site didn't. It was as if they didn't need the power of mobiles and smart devices.

I looked into downloading the videos and uploading via my computer but you can't creste a post on your computer with photos and videos that is assigned to a photo album. It's only allowed via the app.

These photos and videos will be doing in existing albums and I wish to post a description when I upload them.
0 Likes
Infobleep
Explorer
Options
I thought formatting the card might resolve my problems but it seems not.

The card formatted fine but when I put into my Mac SD card reader, it cannot initialise it. M

I did try initializing it, given it was now formatted but that didn't work.

It's and SDHC card I think. I can't check as it's in the phone

Upon putting it back in the phone I had to format the card again.

I guess I could try doing a disc check in the card on a Windows laptop.

Update:
It appears Macs have trouble reading Android FAT32 formated drives.

Which isn't helpful. There is however a workaround, which I might try.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/guide-mounting-the-fat32-partition-on-macos.395332/

My issues might be resolved if
Facebook allow you to share video files in one's internal storage from folders other than Camera.
0 Likes