Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corrupted SD card whilst coping/moving files

(Topic created on: 27-01-2021 07:04 AM)
Infobleep
Explorer
Options
I was moving some photos from my internal storage to SanDisk SD Card. I have a Note 9.

Whilst it was doing so, slowly, the SD card corrupted. I was using ES File Explorer Pro to do the transfer.

Now I can't access the storage. What are my chances of recovering anything?

I do have the photos backed up with Google Photos but I like to have a local copy and I couldn't say what was on my SD card in order to just download those ones from Google Photos.

Can anyone tell me what storage format is used for the SD cards? Is it FAT32? 

My Macbook, running OS Mountain Lion, couldn't read the card but said it was. 

Cheers
0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11
CrazyTom2k2
Helping Hand
Options
Hey there Infobleep!

Do you have a Windows machine to hand? If so, pop your SD card into the Windows machine and run a Check Disk on it using the command prompt. You'll need to find out the drive letter assigned to your card, but Windows'll probably pop up asking you to format the card when you stick it in.

The command you'll need is chkdsk [drive letter of card] /f /r.

It's been a while since I've tried that fix, but it always worked when I was using a MicroUSB adapter to attach an SD card to my Galaxy S6 😉. Hopefully that work for you too 🙂.

In terms of the format used, cards under 32GB use FAT32, and cards over 32GB use exFAT.

Hope this helps,
Tom 🙂
NHPIXELSPHOTOGRAPHY
Pathfinder
Options
Hi there infobleep my understanding is the following......
Cards above 64 GB are formatted to exFAT file system. If you are formatting your SD for your Android phone or Nintendo DS or 3DS, you will have to format to FAT32. ... Formatting to FAT32 is usually your best option, however, FAT32 formatted cards won't let you transfer or store a file more than 4GB.

Good to hear best practice of you having backups in Google photo/Other storage in case of the dredded corrupted sd scenario.

Hope this help?
NHPIXELSPHOTOGRAPHY
Pathfinder
Options
https://www.stellarinfo.com/article/recover-sd-card-mac.php may also help. Note comments are purely guidance and not a 100% fix.
Infobleep
Explorer
Options
Many thanks for the replies. I have access to a virtual Windows 7 on my Mac and failing that my brother has an old laptop with Windows 10 on it.

I do also own recovery software on my Mac but as it didn't mount the disc, I didn't go down that route.

I will try the Windows method first.

The card is a 64gb one and has 50gb of photos and videos on it.
CrazyTom2k2
Helping Hand
Options
That sounds perfect! The command's standard across all versions of Windows - could probably even run it under XP if you needed to! 😂
Infobleep
Explorer
Options
Funnily enough, I'm sure I did run it in XP some years ago!
Infobleep
Explorer
Options
Just an update. With my older version of VMware Fusion, it doesn't seem to find my SD card reader on my Mac. This is a long standing issue I've not bothered to resolve.

So I ran some software Remo Recover on my Mac. This found no volume on the micro SD card.

So I put the card into the old Windows 10 machine but brother has.

Nothing came up so I went to This PC and there was all the data.

No idea why it worked on that machine but not elsewhere. I'm can't believe. Almost speechless. That sound happen to me. 😂

I'm now copying off the data to a USB stick and I'll reformat the card.

Many thanks for all the help.
CrazyTom2k2
Helping Hand
Options
Glad you managed to get your data back!! 😀

If you wanted to fix the VMware Fusion not finding your Mac's SD card reader, there's a mod you can do somewhere, but it's still a bit annoying.

Windows (or Linux), tend to be pretty awesome when reading cards that other devices can't (which is weird, because Android is Linux 😂)

Anyways, thanks for stopping by, don't hesitate to come back if you have any more issues!

All the best,
Tom 😀
Infobleep
Explorer
Options
Usually I moan about Windows not being that good but in this case I have got the issue down to 2 photos that didn't copy wen corrupted.those two files of 0kb are that was stopping the cards being read!

Once the data is off I will format the card. I assume its best to do this on my phone, prior to doing anything else further. The data will be put back using my computer and in future I'll be doing a lot of taking out of the card from my mobile, to write data to it.