Did you mean: 

Original topic:

Very dim screen on the Note 20 Ultra

(Topic created on: 05-09-2020 02:02 PM)
yama
Explorer
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

is anyone else experiencing the note 20 ultra to have an extremely dim screen. the brightness of the screen pales in comparison to the Note 10+, whites are a very milky greyish colour.

all settings are the same on both devices. Just trying to work out if this is faulty or if its just how its meant to be?

30 REPLIES 30
KaranMalhotra
Pioneer
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

I have the exact same issue. When i compared it to my note 10+its cleary visible that the display is such a downgrade. Its such a shame, that the old models get more brighter than the new ones !

0 Likes
KaranMalhotra
Pioneer
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

This does not help ! The brightness does not increase.

0 Likes
KaranMalhotra
Pioneer
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

Forget the colours, how is the brightness? Does it get too bright or even that is in issue?

0 Likes
Drake1
Pioneer
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series
Its like it gets bright enough, but its just looking washed out if you get me, like the icons don't look as solidly coloured, or my WhatsApp chats don't pop. The colour difference makes it look like a budget phone compared to samsungs phones the last 5 years.
I understand some people like less contrast etc, but this is almost beyond that. its like greyed out, or a slight 3% washed out filter is applied.

The blues in the quick panel are not as vibrant. the blacks look greyer, the whites a little grey. icons just don't pop the same and thus it feels cheap and incredibly unenjoyable to look at or use.

Not knocking the resolution, but the colour balancing reminds me of a Chinese ebay phone.
0 Likes
Drake1
Pioneer
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series
S20 ultra on the left. Note 20 ultra on the right.
0 Likes
Evanlowe99
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

I'm having the same problem with my new note 20 ultra as well. I have a note 9 and the screen is significantly brighter and whites are alot brighter.

0 Likes
Evanlowe99
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

I'm having the same problem. My Samsung note 9 screen looks better than my note 20 ultra. Significantly brighter.

0 Likes
Drake1
Pioneer
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series
Not that I should have to, but at the moment I have put the screen on the cooler setting in vivid.
then gone to advanced, and lowered the green and red significantly. then put it onto dark mode.
its still less vivid. the greys are not as good, its completely calibrated wrong. if calibration is the term.

brightness is high, I would almost say its the colours that cause it not to look as bright if you know what I mean?

Samsung said they are aware of this and the videos online reviewing and seeing the difference. and are working on it.
not sure if that means it will be solved however.
roryh86
Pioneer
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

Unfortunately I think what you're disliking is the fact that the Note 20 Ultra is more "colour accurate" than previous phones. 

So even in Vivid, it is still preserving the proper colour spectrum and is much closer to a properly calibrated screen. You can read all about how colour correct the Note 20U's screen is on Display Mate. Apparently set a record.

I guess some people like yourself don't like that and want more pop even if it means not colour accurate/calibrated.

I personally think Samsung is doing the right move. A colour accurate screen means you're seeing photos the way they are meant to be seen, and will look the same on other calibrated screens. Samsung phones used to be horribly over saturated. Every generation they improve. 

They should probably allow more customisation for people that don't care about accuracy though, and allow users to ramp up saturation at the expense of artificial colours. If anything, I think over saturated screens like the Chinese phones you refer to are the cheap looking ones since they cannot make such an accurate display. 

Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

Probably samsung software is doing the auto dimming. To prevent overheating perhaps. We need to get together to protest and bring the issue up to the CEO to push for the new software updates. You can do so in the samsung website via "Contact us" down at the bottom of the site.

0 Likes