Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usb tethering

(Topic created on: 12-03-2022 03:56 PM)
gcarlin1
First Poster
Options

Hi guys. I am trying to share my mobile connection from my Note 20 Ultra 5g to my Galaxy Tab A8 via usb.

I'm in hospital for an extended period and have been using the WiFi hotspot. But I'm mindful that I might be killing the battery having it on, basically, 24 hours a day.

No matter what I do I cannot get the usb tethering to work. It says its on (on my note 20) , the note 20 is the control device but my tab A8 does not have Internet.

I've tried altering the developer settings on both devices to make usb tethering the default..... nothing works.

Am I missing something really obvious?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance. 

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7
xSteveuk
Mastermind
Options
Hi,
On settings Connections
Mobile hotspot and tethering
May get your usb connection working
But you would have to turn off
Wifi and use mobile data 😑
0 Likes
AndrewL
Options

@gcarlin1: Have you tried disabling USB tethering on your Note 20, and enabling it on your Tab A8 to see if this helps? I do appreciate your concerns about the affect that the prolonged use of a hotspot might have on your battery, although you may wish to monitor this via Settings > Battery and Device Care > Battery, to see if the Note 20 is capable of maintaining the connection. You also have the options of Bluetooth Tethering, which could potentially be less power intensive. Let me know how you get on. 

0 Likes
gcarlin1
First Poster
Options
I appreciate the replies guys

I'm using mobile data anyway, lucky enough to have 5g in my ward

On the tab A8 usb tethering is greyed out...

Despite me changing the default usb action to tethering in the developer menu

I'm at a total loss here 😕
0 Likes
Jpswain696
Pioneer
Options
Sounds like it's cable or APN settings aren't correct
0 Likes
Jpswain696
Pioneer
Options
Also does your Network support USB tethering as if not then will have to be WiFi hot spot via Bluetooth ↔️
0 Likes
gcarlin1
First Poster
Options

Right now I'm using a WiFi hotspot

I'm with Three UK and have an unlimited plan.

Unlimited tethering is included, they call it a personal hotspot.

I'll just need to stick with the WiFi hotspot I guess. 

Thanks for replying 🙂 

0 Likes
Jpswain696
Pioneer
Options
Try disabling wifi first connect them via the cable then see if usb tethering is enabled if so should then use your note 20 as the connection and you should then be good to go. Looking at how most networks allow for tethering the usual method is the WiFi hotspot via Bluetooth. Let me know if this address the greyed out issue
0 Likes