Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UK shortchanged on device choice!

(Topic created on: 12-05-2021 01:50 AM)
ianbuk
Pioneer
Options
Yes I know its an old one, however, I was reading the latest test for the Samsung S21Ultra by DxOMark and rather hope someone at Samsung will hear this final appeal from a loyal customer who has three Note 20Ultra's and an S20 Ultra on my account in the past 12 months, buying new phones every year since the Note 8. We usually upgrade our Note mobiles as I can put them through the business. 

The issue that highlighted my exasperation with a Samsung device fitted with the pathetic Exynos chip, is following being stranded on the M20 for 7 hours last week. First, I got caught in a three-hour traffic jam following an accident ahead of me. I had my car valeted the day before and hadn't been home, I never had the opportunity to put a charging cable back in the car. As soon as the traffic jam had started moving, the HGV in front went into the second lane and started to crush a small Fiat. Another traffic jam, this time, my car simply could not be moved as it was blocked in by the accident in front and the emergency services behind. After seven hours, my phone went dead! 

It's not as if you would expect someone using the phone just for phone calls, and by calls, I mean around 70 minutes worth in total from full charge to flat. I regularly optimise my phone and don't have hardly any location services or Apps on etc. Samsungs flagship device of only six months ago, couldn't last seven hours from charged just using it for a little over an hour on calls! So this is why my post has relevance to the Exynos Chip.

Tom's guide published a report today, DxOMark, which is usually known for its camera tests, has now started testing the battery life of smartphones. As expected, the Galaxy M51 topped DxOMark’s battery test chart with a score of 88 points. The Snapdragon 888 version of the Galaxy S21 Ultra scored 70 points, while the Exynos 2100 version of the phone scored 57 points. A massive difference!

So here's my conclusion. If Samsung intends on using the dramatically inferior Exynos Chip in this summers expected Note 21, then I'm going to revert back to the phone named after a fruit. I have three Note 20 Ultra's, S20 Ultra, Tab S6, Tab S7 and Galaxy Flex Pro Laptop. I even have a few Samsung TV's! I like to have my phones, tablets and laptop's all by the same manufacturer. It makes connection and sharîng of messages, history, etc etc shared and kept up to date easier. 

I cannot be the only customer who has finally got fed up of being taken advantage of with an inferior AND more expensive phone than a US customer, can I?

Anyone else feel the same? To Samsung customer Services, please pass people dissatisfaction up the food chain!
Owned everything from the original Note to S22 Ultra. Disappointing that Samsung does innovate as they used to.
12 REPLIES 12
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
As you say, it's been done to death. I get 2 days out of on charge in my so called inferior chip. As for cost you cannot compare 2 countries for many reasons. Tests are just tests, real world usage is what counts. There must be a reason your charge only lasts 7 hours. Seeing your battery stats would illustrate why you have this issue.
kradcliffe
Voyager
Options

I had the Exonys and it was terrible, barely lasted a day. Imported the SD865+ version (N9860) and it's like chalk and cheese. Far smoother, faster and the battery life is instantly better.

Yet another Samsung screw up. You shouldn't have to import and lose warrenty to get a phone that works properly. The company are clueless. Removing this, removing that. Removal of SD card slots will be the end of Samsung for me.

Penguinbo
Voyager
Options
Why do they use different chips? Surely they should be the same and the best possible for a top end phone.
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
It's down to a deal they made with qualcomm many years ago which allowed Samsung to sell their devices in the US. They could not use the Exynos chip because it does not have a CDMA modem of which the intellectual property is owned by Qualcomm. There's more to it than this but Qualcomm stitched Samsung like a kipper!
0 Likes
tinglish
Hotshot
Options
From what I've read and seen there isn't a great deal of difference between SD 888 and exynos 2100 in real world use on the s21 ultra.
I certainly have no complaints when it comes to the battery on my s21 ultra (exynos),I get between 8-11 hours sot depending on usage.
Only thing I can knock about the s21 ultra is the price but I would say the same if that was SD or exynos.
If we forget about the cost of the phone it truly is pretty brilliant from design, performance, battery and it is feature packed.
Love my phone 😍 no complaints apart from like I said the price,but it was my choice to buy it and I don't for one minute regret it.
ianbuk
Pioneer
Options
You have read my post and the DxOMark test? On the points score it works out as a real world difference of 30% in performance.

Thats why I said that UK customers get a raw deal!
Owned everything from the original Note to S22 Ultra. Disappointing that Samsung does innovate as they used to.
0 Likes
tinglish
Hotshot
Options
I've seen alot of tests and reviews before deciding to purchase my phone(UK).
I've seen test where exynos performed just as well if not better then SD and the other way round.
I think what you have to do is look at whatever phone you are buying and decide if it's right for you based on your own research.
There is that saying the grass is always greener on the other side.
Personally I'm more than happy with my choice,the phone has exceeded expectations in alot of areas 💪.
Like I said the only conclusion I came up with was that the phone is a bit pricey but again that would go for the SD version as well.
0 Likes
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
DxOMark are a such well known and trusted source for ... battery tests???

No thanks, I don't even regard their camera tests as fair or meaningful, not exactly sure why I'd pay attention to the battery ones. I can tell you from personal usage the S21 Ultra Exynos achieves an excellent battery life and I haven't seen anywhere online or otherwise suggesting I'm missing out to a Snapdragon version.

Also bear this in mind. Qualcomm have a monopoly in regard to mobile SoCs, they also have been fined twice for anti competitive practices and overpricing by denying the use of competitors chipsets in (Apple) products over a 5 year period, how's that for irony. You really want to see the future of these phones directed by that company that truly denied choice?
kradcliffe
Voyager
Options

All I can say is I've had both .... and the SD is miles ahead. It also has a brighter more colourful display too.

Jerryrig did a test on Youtube comparing thermals and battery life on both, and there was a 20% difference.

Maybe the overall issue is that they have used a multitude of different components and you actually get a good one if you are lucky!

0 Likes