cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tracking exact location of phone

(Topic created on: 08-05-2021 10:36 AM)
Options

Hi all,

First post and looking for some urgent support.

Background: I recently dropped off a package to be returned to a supplier at a UPS point. I wasn't provided any proof of postage despite asking for it and the package now seems to have disappeared. The supplier won't issue a refund as there's no UPS record of it on their tracking system.

The drop off point are denying that I dropped it off. Using Google maps I can confirm that I'm at that point at the specific time and date but I'm wondering if there's any way that I can get my phones specific location at that point in time to back up what Google maps is saying. 

I've asked my phone provider who say they can't/don't provide it to me but I'm hoping that someone may know of a way to find a log on the phone to prove my point.

Currently I'm feeling like the items been stolen and I'm being accused of lying so I'm pretty angry and want to be able to prove what I'm saying.

Any help would be massively appreciated.

Phone: Samsung S20 Note Ultra

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Try looking at Find My Mobile
0 Likes
Steven9761
Troubleshooter
Options
Have a look in GOOGLE MAPS / TIMELINE / DATE.

Let's say that you dropped the package at Mr Smith's Parcel Emporium at 16:35 yesterday (7th May 2021), scroll to that date in your timeline, and it will display your movements for that period.

Your timeline might look like:

08:00 - 1 Main Street, Hometown (your home address)

09:25: Waitrose, Unit 12, Hometown Shopping Mall

10:02: HOME.

16:35: Mr Smith's Parcel Emporium.

Etc...

This would only prove what time you visited the parcel shop. It would the be down to the store to check their cctv.

After that, I'm not sure what else you can do.
0 Likes
Options

That's pretty much where I'm at just now. Unfortunately, it was over a month ago I left the package there and the supplier advised to wait 14 business days for a refund so likelihood is there's no CCTV. The store are unnecessarily stand offish which raises suspicions in itself.

Communicating with them has been s nightmare as it's solely via email and the customer service is based on the USA so time zones become an issue. 

I'm hoping that as I can show the time line map in Google maps the company will refund me and take up the issue with UPS and ultimately the store. 

0 Likes
Steven9761
Troubleshooter
Options
I used to work in international courier. Ask UPS to check their collection records from that pickup point on the day you dropped it. With any luck, they might have missed the scan at origin (the collection point), but scanned it at the depot. After that, they can do a full track-and-trace through their network.

You mentioned that the vendor is in the USA - if the declared value of the item is over $1,000 (about £600), it will require a Power of Attorney from the receiver before it can begin customs clearance. If it is an established business, it is most likely that a customs broker already holds a POA, and would normally request that entry clearance is passed to them, for example, UPS passes the process over to DHL, FEDEX, or whoever holds that POA.

If it is an individual, or a company that has never dealt with this clearance method, they will need to nominate the clearance by applying for a POA, then nominating a broker. This process can normally take a minimum of 7-10 days, or longer.
Options

Fantastic to know! I'll contact UPS and see if they have any information. The customer service is in the USA but there company return is in the UK I believe. 

If they've collected it but not scanned it at the depot would I be right in saying that it wouldn't show on any tracking or should it still show as collected from the collection point?

0 Likes
Steven9761
Troubleshooter
Options

It would normally be scanned at every stage of its journey. If a couple of scans are missed, it doesn't matter too much. The critical scans are the ones showing export from origin country, and import to final destination country. If it transits through a 3rd country, that helps. Here's what I mean:

GOOD TRANSIT SCAN...

tracking no. *********** -

Collected @ 17.30, Smith's Parcels, Hometown

18.44 - arrival @ UPS, GLA (Glasgow)
19.22 - dep. UPS GLA
20.55 - arr. PIK (Prestwick)
22.00 - dep. PIK
00.25 - arr. KOR (Kortrijk, Belgium)
03.00 - dep. KOR
05.50 - arr. JFK
08.25- dep. JFK
09.15 - arr. LAX (Los Angeles)
10.12. - pending customs clearance
13.30 - released customs

07.30 (next day) - out for delivery
11.13 - delivered
11.13 - signed: JONES

As you can see, the transit through Belgium is not important, unless the package got lost in transit. In that case, the guys at GLA, and PIK would be asked to conduct a depot search. If all clear, KOR would be asked to check. Likewise at JFK. Finally, LAX would be asked to check the warehouse. Your 'lost package isn't actually lost - its just gone astray in their network.

0 Likes