Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Upgrade Programme - Klarna Issues again

(Topic created on: 21-08-2020 09:45 AM)
OllieN
Explorer
Options

Hi there,

Is anyone else having issues signing up to the upgrade programme through Klarna? It initially approved the credit but at the final checkout stage said 'Please try another card' when trying to make the initial upfront payment. We tried 5 different cards but none of them worked. We figured the site must have been experiencing technical issues so left it to try again later.

Since then, it won't even get us to that stage, it just says 'your purchase option isn't approved'. So now it appears there's no way for me to join the upgrade programme. 

(3 members of my family, all of which have very good credit scores with the two reference agencies that Klarna use and have never had credit refused before - also can't get it to work). I called Klarna but to say they were unhelpful would be an understatement.

Hoping that someone from Samsung can step in here and get this sorted. I'd be interested to see how many orders have been lost to Klarna's poor technical implementation. 

EDIT- Just to add, it seems this isn't the first time Klarna has caused problems. Some of the comments on this thread are suspiciously similar to what I've experienced. You'd have hoped it would have been fixed in the 6 months since.... - https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/galaxy-s20-s20-s20-ultra/s20-upgrade-lounge-issues/td-p/1556960/...

36 REPLIES 36
samehsameh
Explorer
Options

Same issues as above, and on the S20 page from months ago.  Perfect credit score on Experian and just get declined.  I was going to phone Klarna tomorrow but reading how useful people have found their customer service I won't bother.  I could just buy the phone outright, but I want the upgrade next year and the value this offer represents.  Guess you're not getting my money this year Samsung.  I'm sure you will survive. 

0 Likes
Gunnz
First Poster
Options

Been a customer of Samsung since note 9 and note 10 wanted to upgrade to the note 20 ultra but my application got rejected.

Credit history better then last year, finances have also increased but Klarna does not want to entertain.

Never missed a payment upto date with all.

Klarna's customer service do not have a clue what is going on but this issue will certainly cost Samsung a lot of customers, I'm contemplating who to go to next?

0 Likes
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Maybe take a look at your Credit File to see if your score has dipped or something negative has been added which can impact your chances of applying for finance @Gunnz 

🌈 Stay Safe & Stay Alert.  🌈 

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

0 Likes
OllieN
Explorer
Options

I don't think this has anything to do with credit scores. If anything, this process is actually harming people's scores because it doesn't tell them there's a problem. It just says 'try another card' but fails to tell you it runs a hard search each time (or at least that's what I was told by Klarna). 

As with others, I have a very high credit score and have never been refused credit in my life. Yet Klarna won't give credit for the comparatively small purchase of a mobile phone. 

It would be great if Samsung gave alternative options to use the upgrade program for situations like this when Klarna won't work. Even if it's the option of buying the handset outright but still having the option to return after 12 months and get a refund half the value once you've sent in your order confirmation for the new phone. Not ideal but at least this would allow others to take advantage of the upgrade program. 

Medicinman004
Journeyman
Options

Same issue here with Klarna. I think they are using it to bait people. Ultimately there is no upgrade at the end. Credit rating is high at 900+. Scam artists.

0 Likes
Members_lovBzU8
First Poster
Options
has anyone's issue with klarna sorted with the upgrade??? has anyone been able to purchase anything???
0 Likes
OllieN
Explorer
Options

No, both Klarna and Samsung were completely useless and never sorted the issue for me. Appreciate it's not causing problems for everyone, but it appears to be causing problems for enough people that Samsung should take notice and fix it or provide alternative options for joining the upgrade programme. 

onechunk
Journeyman
Options

Had the same issue with the Note10+ last year. Just gave up in the end and bought it outright. 

0 Likes
Uhtred82
First Poster
Options

Same with me today, and its October!

Was happy to make the upgrade to Galaxy S20+, but not a chance!

Downloaded the dard Klarna App and linked bank account, just to have backup - nope.

Please @Samsung: I want to pay for that phone and you want the sale, right? Help us out here.

Best from Vienna

MaoVi
First Poster
Options

Yesterday successfully I bought S20+ on Klarna 36months finance. To be approved you have to "build your credit history" on Klarna account. It takes about 7 days, so the stepps what you should do are:

1. Download the Klarna app on your smartphone.

2. Create the account.

3. In settings add all your personal details and your bank account to create Direct Debit (important!) When you receive confirmation email of the setup your DD to Klarna usually your bank will confirm it in 5-10 days.

4. Do the first shopping on a small amount and pay by your main account card (add it to your account as well) I bought shoes ~25£ (Buy now, pay later)- not sure it is important stepp but I did that.

5. In next few days check your DD in internet banking and when it will be in place you should see: "KlarnaBank with reference *******"

6. Now you are ready for shopping with Klarna 0% finance, not only in Samsung website but in many other shops as well.

Hopefully I helped.

0 Likes