Did you mean: 

Original topic:

Samsung Notes app issue

(Topic created on: 19-10-2020 02:26 AM)
IBVJ
First Poster
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

When using the Notes app with the S Pen on my Note 20 Ultra, there's an area on the left edge, centered between the top and bottom, of the screen where the S Pen doesn't seem to be working properly.

If e.g. a line is drawn across this area, for instance from the top screen edge to the bottom one, there will be a gap in that line on the mentioned area of the screen. The dead area itself seems to be almost circular in form, measuring approx. 10-15 mm. across (in diameter).

Suggestions on how to get rid of this annoying error, if at all possible, would be greatly appreciated.

/IBVJ

==========

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Maker ★★
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

Is it possible to create the line and screenshot it and upload this into your thread @IBVJ  ?

I'll then try this on mine.

If nothing like a screen protector isn't hindering the screen and as a last resort a factory reset does not work then I'd suggest go to a Samsung Experience Store or Samsung Service Centre who can take a look. 

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²² Ultra 256Gb.
Samsung Gear s³ Frontier Watch.
Samsung Galaxy Watch⁴ Classic.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I have no affiliation with Samsung.

IBVJ
First Poster
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

Sure, should've done that from the get-go.

I believe that this bug is in the Samsung Note app itself.

As far as I recall, one of the very first devices in the Samsung Note-series (I actually think it was the Note 1) had a very similar bug. Samsung was able to correct this issue later on with a bug fix update of S Notes (as it was called back then), so I hope the same remedy will suffice in this case as well. I've finally gottento the point where it's looking and working pretty much as I prefer it to, so it would be a major bummer if I have to send it in for repairs.   😞

I'm looking forward to hearing what you experience with the Samsung Notes app...

20-1015 - Defect Screen or S Pen.png

0 Likes
davehorne
Voyager
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

I have a few thoughts that may mean  absolutely nothing.  :smiling-face: 

I wouldn't think so, but could there be an unwanted interaction with your phone case and the phone itself?  I wouldn't think a magnet would cause this issue but that was my first thought.

There's also a test where you can see what works and what doesn't.  This is a Samsung test, the information is easily found online.

Enter *#0*# in the Samsung Phone app as if you are dialing.  You'll see a screen full of tests to perform.

Galaxy S22 Ultra / 256 GB
0 Likes
IBVJ
First Poster
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

Appreciate your input but after some testing, I (so far!) only found this issue to be present from within the Notes app itself.

There's also no general issue using the S Pen across the entire screen estate outside of the Notes app.

I now have a sneaky suspicion that this might be a case of an overlay error of sorts, an object related to the app itself, or maybe invoked by it, which apart from being hidden from the user should've also allowed pen interactions to pass through it, but for some reason, it might not allow this type of interaction anyway (coder glitch/oversight maybe...).

I haven't yet checked the Developer Tools to see if I can somehow reveal/expose this object using some of the options there, provided, of course, that my suspicion is correct.

As I understand it, this display type isn't damaged, or gets to suffer any long time side effects as such, by being exposed to magnetism, at least not in the same way that was the case with the old CRT-based monitor displays. But good thinking nevertheless.
I've never been a big huge of bringing magnets in close proximity to certain delicate eletronics components though, so I'd never use a case/cover with magnets on or inside of it anyway.

Thanks for the command code. No dead spots found on the display.

0 Likes
IBVJ
First Poster
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

That would be a "...huge fan of...", not a "...big huge..."...   😕

0 Likes