Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Samsung Note 20 Ultra 5G Heating Issues

(Topic created on: 01-09-2020 09:55 PM)
samiamind
Apprentice
Options

I purchased the new Samsung Note 20 Ultra 5G 10 days ago, I have issues with the phone heating up a lot, during charging, or when walking while my phone in my back pocket, or even when talking on the phone for a while, I never had any issues with my old Samsung Note 9/512 gb, also the battery in this phone should last most of the day but it doesn't last till early afternoon, most cases I'm checking messages/emails/web surfing.

I called Samsung Technical support and asked to reset the phone or close the apps to minimize the usage of  the battery or causing the phone to heat up, nothing worked, they asked me to Samsung authorized dealer for further testing, I called the authorized dealer and explained to them the issues that I have on my new phone!! They told me that they could only diagnostic test and they cannot open the phone to  test the board, they also asked me to do a factory a reset and if this doesn't work then call Samsung and ask them to replace your phone.

Anyone has any issues like me, help is appreciated.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
roryh86
Pioneer
Options
I read somewhere that some Note 20 Ultras come with a copper heatsink to reduce heat, similar to the S20 Ultra, and some with a graphite paste. The graphite one gets hotter. And worse yet, it's completely randomly. It's very disappointing from Samsung indeed. I don't have the heating issue, but I've seen some YouTubers where their camera shut down from overheating. I would suggest asking for a replacement, but as I said it's also random.
Regarding battery, do you know how much Screen On Time you're getting? I have the Exynos UK version and I get around 6.5-7 hours SOT. You can try downloading an app called AccuBattery, charge your phone to 100% and then use the phone a lot throughout day until you only have 2-3% left, and check your SOT. Probably best to test on weekend. One thing you can do to improve battery life, is search fro Deep Sleeping apps in the settings menu, and add all the apps that you don't use regularly and don't need notifications from. This will reduce background usage and improve the battery life.

View solution in context

21 REPLIES 21
Maroš
Voyager
Options
I think this is the problem with lots of phones after last update OneUI, mine aswell
samiamind
Apprentice
Options

Is there a solution for it or should I replace the phone?

0 Likes
Solution
roryh86
Pioneer
Options
I read somewhere that some Note 20 Ultras come with a copper heatsink to reduce heat, similar to the S20 Ultra, and some with a graphite paste. The graphite one gets hotter. And worse yet, it's completely randomly. It's very disappointing from Samsung indeed. I don't have the heating issue, but I've seen some YouTubers where their camera shut down from overheating. I would suggest asking for a replacement, but as I said it's also random.
Regarding battery, do you know how much Screen On Time you're getting? I have the Exynos UK version and I get around 6.5-7 hours SOT. You can try downloading an app called AccuBattery, charge your phone to 100% and then use the phone a lot throughout day until you only have 2-3% left, and check your SOT. Probably best to test on weekend. One thing you can do to improve battery life, is search fro Deep Sleeping apps in the settings menu, and add all the apps that you don't use regularly and don't need notifications from. This will reduce background usage and improve the battery life.
samiamind
Apprentice
Options

Thanks roryh86, I have snapdragon 865+, my wife and daughter both have the N20 ultra and they have no issues with it, only mine, we all got the phones on the same day, pre-order, I will first try downloading the battery app and then go from there, if it keeps heating then I will call customer service to replace my phone.

Spending so much money on a brand new phone that already have issues.

RhysH
Pathfinder
Options
In Device Care, put every app in deep sleep, except the ones you depend on for notifications. Also, if possible, disable super fast and fast charging, this will hopefully extend the battery lifetime by not heating it soo much when it charges. You can always re-enable fast charging if your in a rush or some sort.

Hopefully future updates will fix the heating issues.
Galaxy S20+ G986B/DS Enterprise Edition (EE) Unlocked "UI 2.5"
0 Likes
Meh90
Pathfinder
Options
My note 20 ultra on open was running at 60 degrees. It now runs stable at 35 to 40 in normal usage.

The cpu is running near max capacity when using everyday apps. Twitter for example use 2 percent battery after 5 mins of use on my note 20 ultra. On my s10 plus is around 0.9 percent. Hopefully Samsung and app developers sort out performance.

I remember when I got my s10, the camera on the rear was always in zoom mode. It was fix after a few Updates
Jasonseery
Helping Hand
Options
get a refund thats a joke on such an expensive device
samiamind
Apprentice
Options

Hello Jason,

It just too late now, next time I'm buying apple device, Samsung Customer service is really bad, not trained really well, on another issue I have returned the earbuds that I got from Samsung when I purchased the new phone, they really suck, I was suppose to get the $200 back as a credit to purchase something else, I recieved an email from Samsung saying that they reactivated my promo code, when I tried to apply it, it wouldn't work, I called Samsung sales/Promotion department to resolve the issue, it was just a waste of time, even though I have a proof emails from them but that didn't solve the problem, the customer service which is based in the  Philippines really suck, I will never buy anything from Samsung again.

0 Likes
tyka1984
First Poster
Options
I had the same issue with my note 20 ultra 5g