Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra - Terrible Coverage

(Topic created on: 09-11-2021 11:25 PM)
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra 5G and I'm having problems with signal strength, literally everywhere.

I travel around the UK quite a bit, and no matter where I am I always find the Vodafone coverage to be VERY poor, usually 1 or 2 bars of 4G at best. In major cities like Liverpool and Manchester, I can find myself outside with no signal at all. I have been cursing Vodafone for many months about this, and assumed it was their garbage network. Usually most of the areas where I get no or poor signal, actually are shown on the Vodafone coverage map as Excellent.

However I have discovered using a Vodafone sim in a cheap $200 chinese smartphone, it appears to have much better siganl strength. I been using an app called "Signal Strength" which shows all the cell towers in the area, and the signal strength to them. Usually the cheaper chinese phone always reports better signal, usually around 10 dBm better.

Why is my Note 20 signal so poor, and how can this be fixed?

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Hi @Anonymous User 

I once owned the Samsung Note 20 Ultra 5G which was the Exynos soc and purchased from Samsung UK.

I had network connection problems with this phone and so ended up sending the phone back to Samsung UK for a refund. I then ended up importing the same phone from Hong Kong which was the SnapDragon version, and that one was much better all round.

Obviously I'm not suggesting you should go down the same route.

Your phone should connect as it was designed to do.

Maybe let a Samsung Experience Store  / Samsung Service Centre have a look at it.

Trying your sim card in another phone is definitely a good generic troubleshooting option.

Also consider that this might be the fault of your sim card as the chip can develop glitches.

A sim card can be sim swapped at any Vodafone Highstreet Store as they move your number and tariff onto a blank sim card and takes minutes to perform.

Or you can ask Vodafone customer service to send you a blank sim card and then perform a sim swap at home using the Vodafone Sim Swap Tool. 

The Vodafone Network Checker is a guide and not a guarantee of service and data speeds , but this tool can also highlight mast issues.

It does seem like an extensive part of the UK that your experiencing issues with.

Perhaps ask neighbours , family or friends also on Vodafone experience these same issues.

I wish you all the best with this situation. 

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

0 Likes
MrMcGinty
Journeyman
Options
I'm on three myself and agree with your comments regarding signal. I have noticed that my coverage is below my expectations and comparisons with my wife's phone (she is three also) and my previous device.

My biggest angst is that it reports a solid 5g/4g signal but performs awfully or not at all when using a Internet based service.

Sadly one of the many gripes I have with this device.
0 Likes
kradcliffe
Voyager
Options

@MrMcGinty Loads of previous threads about this. Samsung obviously know there's an issue but do nothing about it. I had the Exynos N20U for a week and it was terrible. At that time I worked on an industrial site and previously had a Huawei P30 Pro. It worked pretty much everywhere but the N20 U couldn't get data using the same SIM card. It also kept dropping calls for no reason even in built up areas close to towers.

I returned it and imported the HK Snapdragon version and it's so much better. Battery life is vastly improved, no signal issues at all and a brighter more colourful display.

Samsung UK are a disgrace. The Exynos version should have never been released but they just ignore all the complaints.

0 Likes
brian mcgregor
First Poster
Options

Hi Band of Brothers, i also have a Hong Kong phone imported to Uk, have you had any issues with phone locking into H signal.

Mine has recently did this when area moved to 5G 

0 Likes
brian mcgregor
First Poster
Options

Hi , i also have a Hong Kong phone imported to Uk, have you had any issues with phone locking into H signal.

Mine has recently did this when area moved to 5G 

0 Likes
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

No @brian mcgregor my phone locked onto 4G and 4G+ as I turned Off 5G in the phone's connectivity settings.

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

0 Likes