Did you mean: 

Original topic:

note 20 ultra battery issues

(Topic created on: 23-08-2020 10:18 AM)
dojodanfrost
First Poster
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series
Having terrible battery drain when the phone is not even in use and no background apps. My note 10 plus never had this issue. Last night I went to bed with 26 percent at 10 pm and at 6am this morning the phone was dead 

527 REPLIES 527
GingerRenegade
Explorer
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

My snapdragon is just as bad. So I wouldn't complain about that aspect. It's ridiculous at how terrible this battery is. My note 5, 6, exploding 7, and 9 did WAY BETTER than this note 20 ultra in battery life. Extremely light use mostly on idle to see what would happen with next to NO USE and barely any screen time from 10am to 10pm im at 26% and that's just idle time. The first two days I had to plug it in during the middle of the day while at work just so it wouldn't die.

BandOfBrothers
Superuser II
Superuser II
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

It could be the 120 refresh rate that is using up more battery.

Samsung maybe working on providing a toggle to allow a slightly slower refresh rate.

This makes interesting reading 

https://www.sammobile.com/news/galaxy-s20-96hz-refresh-rate-mode. 

Current Phone >Samsung Z Fold³ 5G.

Previous Phone > Note 20 Ultra 5G SM-N9860.

Swerv
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series
Hi Band of Brothers. I have just received my Note 20 Ultra 5G. I have been reading the comments about battery life, by the way I am a real newbi to tech stuff. the blurb says play your games all day not that I do, but surely if it is not possible to do so because of btry life, Samsung have a problem if it does not deliver. you mention refresh rate is this something individuals can change? also where is the 100x zoom to be found.
JerryS
Pioneer
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series
My battery life on Note 20 Ultra was absolute rubbish too compared to my old Note 9, but installed an update last night and then did a factory reset and it seems to have made a difference, particularly when the phone is idle. New kernel version is 4.19.87-19271186, August 1st security patch level. Lost at least 20% battery in idle and in flight mode overnight two nights ago and only a few percent last night. Will be monitoring today as well.
0 Likes
rattie34
Explorer
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series
mines the same gone back to using my note10 plus,was only getting 4.5 hrs on the note20 ultra too hot to put in my pocket and the cameras *****
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

Interesting,looks like that there are also software bugs in the mix

BandOfBrothers
Superuser II
Superuser II
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

Hello @Swerv 

The phone will choose the refresh rate as it's a variable adaptive feature so will automatically change to compliment what your doing on the phone which also serves to save battery or maybe with the app that's mentioned in the link I added now can choose 96Hz instead of 120Hz as the higher limit.

In regards to the "blurb" take that as it is.

Any company is going to big up it's products to sell them.

That said the Note 20 Ultra boasts the hardware and software to support playing resource intensive immersive games and I have seen where people have played for hours on end.

However this can and will use lots of battery and push the chip inside,  and due to this the phone can and will warm up.

The SnapDragon version did perform better than the Exynos 990 version with the Exynos lagging at times after extended play.

Personally I'm not a gamer and only play the odd game when I'm stuck and bored ! How a person can play a game on such a relatively small screen for extended lengths of time is beyond me.... lol.  Hats off to them.

In regards to battery and screen on time I've seen lots of posts here and elsewhere that gives conflicting usage stats.

This is possibly because we all set up our phones differently such as phone preferences, apps, app preferences,  network signal , usage habits etc.

A phones battery wont usually give optimal output until it's been charged and discharged a few times and the phone's learnt your usage habits too.

Do read these posts but try not to get caught up in them too much is my advice.

The Note 20 Ultra has 50x zoom.

Hope that helps.

0 Likes
tanvir302
Journeyman
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series
like everyone else, my note 20 ultra has rubbish battery life. I left it 100% before going to bed and woke up with 70% remaining. I never had any issue with my note 10+ and its frustrating. I Will be returning the phone soon
Tracy2fast4u08
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

I've had my Note 20 Ultra since 8/18 (almost a week of use). I've noticed the battery drains at an intense rate since day one. I always close out my apps and make sure all my apps go to sleep when not in use. I use this phone exactly how I did with my Note 10+ and I never had these issues. Even when I look to see where the battery is going, it just shows the apps that I was using at the time. No hidden background functions show or anything.

On to the next issue, which is indeed, a worse of an issue. I can't get signal to save my life. If I'm not on wifi, I can't do jack with my phone. My music randomly stops playing, I can't watch a YouTube video without it buffering every 3 seconds, and I can't even load an internet browser page. I have AT&T and have never had these kinds of issues before. In fact, it shows I have full bars on 5Ge at this very moment yet I can't connect to hardly anything. Not sure if this is a phone or carrier issue.

Hopefully updates will be pushed out asap 🤞

BandOfBrothers
Superuser II
Superuser II
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

As a process of elimination can you try your sim card in another phone and then another sim card in your phone.

Is the issue of signal happening everywhere  ?

This could be the sim card to which your network can sim swap.

This could be your network masts and or mast congestion.

A Samsung Experience Store  / Samsung Service Centre can run a diagnostic.

It's interesting what your saying about battery as most complaints are about the Exynos 990 version !

You could try clearing the system cache files by turning the phone off and then from a set series of button presses go into the phones system files and clear the cache.

A last resort is to back up and remove any relevant Sd card and factory reset.

A Samsung Experience Store  / Samsung Service Centre can run a diagnostic @Tracy2fast4u08 

🏳️‍🌈Stay Safe 🏳️‍🌈

0 Likes