Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost mobile phone signal after software update

(Topic created on: 03-02-2023 09:28 AM)
StevieDeavs
Journeyman
Options
Anyone else had their Note20 unable to find a mobile network signal after the last security update?

Every since the update, my phone cannot find any mobile phone signals. Been through all the troubleshooting (SIM is recoginised by the phone - I can WiFi call on the network for example), done all the resets including factory and nothing. 

Samsung experts can't help except to say it's been referred to developers and I can't get a "repair" as phone is out of warranty and it's not physically damaged - there's not a scratch on it.

Any ideas / suggestions / experiencing the same issue and fixed it (please!).

My phone is useless now unless I'm somewhere with decent wifi.

13 REPLIES 13
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

That's not good @StevieDeavs  😐 

Does your sim card find connection in another phone ?

Is it possible your phone has failed inside in regards to the part that makes network connection work ,and the recent update has nothing to do with this ?

A Samsung Service Centre will still assess your phone but may levy a fee to repair.

There is also a diagnostic tool in your Samsung Members app you can run.

What troubleshooting / resets have you tried please ?

I appreciate you've tried a Factory Reset.

Have you tried resetting the network connection in General Management  ?

Was the security update also connected to a software update  ?

If so and your sim card works fine in another phone then and I don't suggest this lightly unless you want to await the next new update to see of that fixes your connection [ send your feedback via your Samsung Members app  ] have a look on xdadevelopers.com to find information on how to change software on a phone.

This isn't a process to be taken lightly and needs some homework on the process and importantly there is no guarantee this will resolve the issue.

Disclaimer 》
Using a Custom Rom / trying to use other methods to rollback firmware can bring about an unstable phone or it may not work properly if the process glitches or the wrong Rom is used.
It may stop Samsung Pay from working if the procedure trips your Knox Counter.
A person takes full responsibility if they perform this process and do so at their own informed decision.
Again the process may trip Knox and may affect the Samsung Warranty.
Samsung could levy a charge to put this right or deny support.
It's essential that a person learns on how to do this type of update properly and uses the correct software for their phone and region.
My advice is to wait for the official update via Samsung Smartswitch or via the phone's software update section.

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

StevieDeavs
Journeyman
Options
Hi @BandOfBrothers - thanks so much for the reply.

The SIM card works in a other phone. It is also recognised by my phone as WiFi calling works fine. It would be a real coincidence if it was something inside the phone which has broken as the issue happened immediately after the last software update .... of course if there was a rollback option I could fine out for certain 🙂

I've run the diagnostics ... all fine. I've been through all the mobile phone settings (reducing the network speeds etc), reset the network settings and then factory reset, none of which worked.

The latest update was, I think, essentially a security update. Thanks very much for the tip about xdadevelopets.com - I'll take a look but understand the disclaimers - it's really frustrating that I might be forced to go down this route if Samsung won't support me in fixing what they broke with the update!

There really should be a way to rollback an update if you have problems.

Thanks again for getting in touch.

DNADale
Apprentice
Options
Mine has recently done the same, pulling my hair out after trying every fix mentioned online including annoyingly a factory reset.

I've now booked a repair through my insurance to see if they can sort it.
Options

Same issue here. I need transparency from SAMSUNG because my mobile phone is a tool and I cant stay without mobile signal. I didn't realize before because I work remotely and spend a lot of time connected to WIFI. But lately I needed to go out and travel and I ended up realizing the problem, as I receive SMS notifying missed calls that do not appear in the call history.

StevieDeavs
Journeyman
Options
That was exactly the situation I was in. The phone had to go off to a Samsung repairer to get fixed. Took nearly 2 weeks as they had to order parts .... which makes me think Samsung know there are some faulty / non-standard components in some batch of phones which they broke with upgrades. Good luck!
brentnote20
Student
Options

Same thing. Just bought an unlocked Note 20 5g this week; the IMEI code matched both US cellular's and Verizons networks but does not work with either. The network pops on and off regularly and inconsistently. I went through the full gamut of options after climbing a deep rabbit hole, including changing carriers to no avail, as well as, the sim cards working in different phones. Also, a diagnostic from UbreakIfix came up with nothing; hardware was all in good condition. This has caused more than an inconvenience.

*Has anyone else checked their Mobile Networks options in the Connections menu from Settings? I am missing a whole list that seemingly is available on other phones, such as no ability to toggle between 5g,4g,3g, etc. The Mobile Networks menu only has *data roaming access / access point names / a grayed out Network Operators / Network extenders. There should be a whole list of more options in the Mobile Networks menu, as seen on others phones.

0 Likes
StevieDeavs
Journeyman
Options
Sorry to say that I don't think you are missing any settings - I spend days on with Samsung support trying to fix this through settings, factory resets etc and in the end it was a hardware issue ... which only appeared after a Samsung update, which leads me to believe there was something incompatibility with components in some batches of phones.
Good luck with getting it fixed, but my advice would be not to waste more time looking for a magical setting to fix it - get it back to Samsung for repair.
0 Likes
s4msung_user_10
First Poster
Options

I have exactly the same issue, only after a bit later upgrade. Securty patch level 1 September 2023. Phone keeps switching from 5G/4G to Edge and no mobile data (it only works sometimes).

0 Likes
Astronet
First Poster
Options

I have same issue after a security update on my S22 ultra some days ago. The network on my phone gets very inconsistent randomly and I can barely make or recieve calls. At first I thought it was the service provider but quickly realised it only happens to me. Now I have no idea what to do as it seems from the thread no one solved it yet without doing a physical repair. 

0 Likes