Original topic:

Is Samsung cheating? Why less RAMs?

(Topic created on: 30-11-2020 01:51 AM)
aliogul
Student
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

Hi

I was about to buy a Note20 ultra but found out that those in Turkey only have 8GB of ram where in the other countries they actually have 12gb.

This is not mentioned on the website and it was the support team actually told me.

In terms of price, it is still an expensive phone for no discount becsuse of less ram. 

So why samsung is doing this? What is the actual reason behind note20 ultra in turkey having less rams? Why? I dont get it. 

0 Likes
17 REPLIES 17
Kenshin80
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series
I think they may be some confusion between the note 20 and note 20 ultra on that website. I.d check with Samsung as I don't know of any note 20 ultra with 8gb RAM
0 Likes
aliogul
Student
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

I wish that was the case. 

I browsed every website that sells the ultra, and in every one of them the RAM is mentioned as 8GB. note20 ultra has 8gb of ram.

What a decision by samsung, shame. 

0 Likes
Kenshin80
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series
I think I found your answer... The note 20 ultra 5g variant comes with 12gb RAM which I have. however due to 5g not being available in all areas and or countries a LTE variant (4g) is being sold with 8gb RAM.

don't get me wrong I agree if you paying premium for ultra it should come with 12gb RAM. I don't know if price is lower for 8gb or not but it is confusing.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.androidheadlines.com/2020/08/galaxy-note-20-ultra-lte-variant-8gb-r...

below is comment from website

However, the thing with Galaxy Note 20 and Note 20 Ultra is that Samsung has decided to bring the LTE variant of the duo with 'only' 8GB of RAM.
Kenshin80
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series
check you have enough memory on you phone to install the update. this includes consideration for apps that will also need to update after installation
0 Likes
aliogul
Student
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

Thank you for this. It is what i could guess, but still not a technical limitation, instead a decision by samsung. 

What 5g has to do anything with giving less rams?

S20 ultra has 12gb even in Turkey. It doesnt have 5g either.

In terms of price, note20 ultra costs 12500 tl which equals to around 1600usd. 

S20 ultra with 12gb costs 11500 - around 1450 usd

So it is not like samsung is making it cheaper bause it comes with less rams. This is what annoys me,  they dont mention anywhere on the website that it comes with 8gb only  (probably most customers dont even know yet), and they sell with high price as if it is 5g+12gb ram. 

I just moved from iphone to a temporary android, was hoping to buy a nice android phone but samsung seems to be a bit tricky. 

0 Likes
Kenshin80
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series
I used this to compare from Samsung own website

https://www.samsung.com/us/smartphones/galaxy-note20-5g/compare/?device-1=samsung-galaxy-note20-ultr...

As you say when you look at the table on that site, the standard note 20 is 8gb RAM the Ultra is 12gb RAM. The S20 come with 12gb as standard with the 512gb version with 16gb RAM.

I am a Samsung fan and have multiple Samsung phones and products. I went for the s20 Ultra as I use it for alot of business and it was my preference to have the 5g as that becomes more active in the UK. unless you really need the stylus functionality I.d be going for the s20 or ultra variant.
I have x9 mobiles all Samsung ranging from s10 plus note 9 s20 my own Note 20 Ultra... all are phenomenal devices so its about personal preference. Also Samsung has discounted devices at the moment so you may be able to get a device cheaper..
0 Likes
aliogul
Student
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

Thank Kenshin

I think i better stay away from samsung. 

This is misleading and in my opinion cheating. 

I wouldn't trust. 

Thanks

0 Likes
Kenshin80
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series
no worries was happy to try and help out... I used to have an iPhone but after the ios issue about slowing down performance in order to save battery... I opted for Samsung. As I say I respect it is down to personal preference.
Good luck finding a device
0 Likes