Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Future of my SD cards

(Topic created on: 30-01-2023 12:29 AM)
EcoBubbleUser944
Pathfinder
Options
September 2020. I unboxed what felt like the future to me - my Note 20 Ultra. Exynos 990 and power management was a real let down though which I noticed from just a few hours of use. I still liked it as I do now. 

January 2021, and SD cards are no more in Samsung's flagships. 

If there was one reason why I switched from iPhone to Samsung was because of the SD card slot. I quickly became addicted to them. My Note 20 Ultra - which I soon named 'Induction Hob' because its electronic and overheats lots ‐ is almost 2.5 years old and with the battery health at around 85% (according to the Accubattery app), it seems that it'll have to be replaced within 2 years time. 

Question:

Is it best to slowly start backing everything up from the SD cards to a Microsoft account or to save SD card data onto my laptop every so often? I'm not a person who will happily pay a subscription, but what if my laptop breaks! Oh my goodness. What a hassle 😕

It's such a shame how Samsung isn't listening to consumers anymore. Its handy to have a small card, insert it, back data up, and transfer it onto a new device or just keep it safe. Gone are the days where DJ Koh admitted to making mistakes and brought back features (eg water resistance and SD card slot on the S7 despite it all being absent on the S6). 
0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11
Glenntech
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
I'd say the SD cards are no more for smartphones.
Yes there are a small number that still include them
But in time they will dissappear.
Sad as I'm someone else that made great use of SD cards.
But cloud backups are great in that you have access to your information on what ever device.
Down side to some is limited resolution for photos and videos
I have a card reader I plug into my S22 Ultra. Not ideal, but better than nothing
I'd suggest backing up in more than one store. In case data gets corrupted in one, you still have the other
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Hi @EcoBubbleUser944  I think the  focus increasingly moving to Cloud services and I think unlikely to come back to the flagships.  Personally have not used an SD card on a mobile for a little while,  though they obviously have their fans.   Must be said not the fastest technology though and can be prone to errors.  one article on the change at the time here.  https://www.androidpolice.com/2021/01/14/samsung-ditches-microsd-card-slot-for-galaxy-s21-series/#:~... 

Agree it is advisable not to rely on one cloud service,  one review of services here https://uk.pcmag.com/file-syncing-and-backup/3682/the-best-cloud-storage-and-file-sharing-services-f...  another option is to use an  Flash Drive.  some  options detailed here https://pocketnow.com/best-microsd-alternatives-galaxy-s22/ 

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

EcoBubbleUser944
Pathfinder
Options
Thank you so much! Is it fair to say Microsoft 365 is the best option for a cloud service? I keep forgetting that a subscription also gives you access to Word, PowerPoint etc... I could also use Google but I'm more used to Microsoft to be honest. That Anker 2-in-1 SD card reader seems like a good option too. Thank you for the help :smiling-face:
0 Likes
Bigtasty65
Hotshot
Options
I bought the Samsung T7 Touch SSD and highly recommend it. I only bought the 512GB version but you can get larger storage, if required. It has very fast transfer speeds.
Also Google Drive is a great option too.
EcoBubbleUser944
Pathfinder
Options
Oh my goodness! I just looked up the transfer and read speeds on that model and it seems insane! I will definitely consider it since it works with my Tab S8 too. I've never payed much attention to them in the past - never been interested to be honest. The 1TB model (I use lots of storage but surprisingly never had an obsession with 108MP photos and 4K videos!) costs £135 so I'll probably wait until the next Black Friday since I'm not in a rush at the moment, but I'd rather sort things out before eventually upgrading my phone. Thank you so much :smiling-face:
Bigtasty65
Hotshot
Options
👍🏻I currently use 4 devices almost daily. The A53 5G, S22 5G, Tab S7+ and the Galaxy Book Pro 360 laptop. Transferring pictures and videos between the four of them, via the T7 is so easy and, like you've looked up, fast!
EcoBubbleUser944
Pathfinder
Options
That's a nice lot! How's the build quality on the Book Pro 360? I might consider them in the future. Many reviewers have claimed that the keyboard feels a little flimsy... perhaps they are all used to Macbooks with their aluminium throughout!
0 Likes
Bigtasty65
Hotshot
Options
Having come from using an old HP G61 laptop. The Book Pro 360 is a superb machine. Quality and performance is excellent. I've no gripes about the keyboard. I'm typing faster than I've ever done previously. You might need to carry a dongle with you depending on your connectivity requirements though. The laptop itself is so slim yet feels really strong and durable. Portability is no problem. When you pick it up, it feels real quality.
I've the 16GB of RAM, with 512GB of storage version. Well worth having a play with one in a Samsung Experience Store if you get a chance.
EcoBubbleUser944
Pathfinder
Options
That's good! It looks sturdy in the pictures I've seen but the reviewers - who unsurprisingly have Macbooks which cost a fortune - always seem to complain! I'm mainly a USB-C only user nowadays with the odd USB-A - which will eventually need an adapter since USB-C is the normal now. Thank you for the help :smiling-face: