Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Display Significantly Dimmer

(Topic created on: 05-06-2021 03:17 PM)
Linkers_3336
Explorer
Options
Hi,

The display on my note 20 ultra is significantly dimmer since I bought it in Aug. Its frustrating to spend nearly £1,300 on a flagship phone and not been able to enjoy a basic feature. I had not reported it yet as I was hoping for the software updates to fix it but I now have the latest android and one UI but it hasn't made any difference. I have 4 other older Samsung phones at home and their adaptive display is perfectly fine. What is taking Samsung so long to fix this Basic issue?

I have to keep using the manual Brightness all day and when I go outdoors, I can't see a thing and have to again turn on auto Brightness. It doesn't work indoors whatsoever.

Thanks Farzad
0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11
adamlee
Big Cheese
Options
Reset adaptive brightness.
adamlee
Big Cheese
Options
Clear data.Screenshot_20210605-133927_Device Health Services.jpgScreenshot_20210605-133921_Settings.jpg
Linkers_3336
Explorer
Options
Thanks Adam. I guess this will only reset my brightness data and not all other apps data?
0 Likes
kradcliffe
Voyager
Options

System app BrightnessBNR is the one you want. It keeps all the calibration data. Force stop then clearing cache and data on that resets the adsptive brigtness.

Linkers_3336
Explorer
Options
Apologies for my ignorance. Please can you send me the full path as I can't find it 😔
0 Likes
kradcliffe
Voyager
Options

Go to settings then apps. Click the icon at the end of "your apps" and tick show system apps.

Then scroll down to Brightness BNR, click force close then go to storage and clear cache +data.

Then reboot your device and it will have reset the brightness calibration as though it's a new device.

0 Likes
Linkers_3336
Explorer
Options
Thanks @kradcliffe. I have tried but unable to find it. Please see the screenshots.SmartSelect_20210605-163850_Settings_97371.jpgSmartSelect_20210605-163836_Settings_97370.jpg
0 Likes
Linkers_3336
Explorer
Options
Thanks. I managed to find it. I didn't realise the system apps are not visible by default and you have to turn them on.

I called Samsung technical support and they took remote control of my note 20 ultra and enabled the system apps. They then located the Brightness BNR and cleared the data and cache.

We did some testing and the adaptive Brightness now seems to be working as it should be so far.

If I go outdoors, it moves the Brightness to 100% which is expected and that's how I want it to be and as soon as I move indoors, it drops down but stays at a reasonable level like 40-50% (not to very low as I had previously) which is bright enough for Indoor usage.

Thanks for your help guys. I was wondering if this is a common issue with Note 20 Ultra and how often do you have to reset your Brightness BNR cache?

Thanks
0 Likes
kradcliffe
Voyager
Options

Well if you had read my post above properly it told you how to make the system apps appear :smiling-face:

I reset it every month or so, but I guess it depends if your preferences match the algorythm.