Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Original topic:

Dim Colourless Screen

(Topic created on: 29-12-2020 12:39 PM)
AMRKHN
Pioneer
Options
So after 2 days of a conversation with the Samsung Twitter Team they finally admit this is a software problem.

The only way right now to make my note 20 ultra look vibrant and bright, is to make the brightness 100%. My previous phone s8+ display compared to the note 20 ultra looks miles better! 

I have no idea how long it will take samsung to develop an update which will fix this display issue as it took them almost 1 year to pull out the 3.0 UI update. 

I purchased this phone at start of November and paid a ton load for it and I'm very very disappointed. 
57 REPLIES 57
AALLRUIZOV
Apprentice
Options

I think i will ask refund but my fear is have a fix soon. LOL.

Anyway, lets wait a bit.

0 Likes
AMRKHN
Pioneer
Options
truth.
0 Likes
AMRKHN
Pioneer
Options
there was an firmware update today got me happy for no reason it was only a security update. I also found out the brightness of the device automatically adjusts depending on device temperature.. since its very cold in the UK recently phone has been fine.
0 Likes
AALLRUIZOV
Apprentice
Options

None att in brazil for now. Here is hot now (summer). But i didnt see nothing about "dim why becames hot". For me seems always equal dimmer hot or no.

0 Likes
spitshaw
Pioneer
Options

Hey dude. So after returning the Note20U and buying the S21U, I had the same ***** problem. It wasn't quite as bad as on the Note but definitely still there - difficult to get a good white balance without greenish/yellowish tints and vivid mode absolutely ruining skin tones, making them super yellow and blown out. The natural mode is awful and washed out too so that wasn't really useable.

So anyway I'm convinced it's a software issue with vivid mode and the mDNIe scenarios that Samsung use (https://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/what-is/mdnie/). When vivid mode is on and I look at an image, if the app is in split screen mode, pop up mode or is in the recent apps/app tray view - the colours all look normal, but once I full screen the app to make it the only foreground app, the colours literally change before my eyes and look awful. It happens on most apps (Chrome, Gallery, Facebook, Messenger etc) but oddly enough I found that it doesn't happen on Reddit. So an image in Reddit looks great, but then when switching to the same image in chrome it looks awful. That's just weird huh? Definitely makes me think it's a software issue.

Anyway after a lot of messing around I found a bit of a workaround. It makes the white balance pretty good (a little warmer than I'd prefer but it removes a lot of the green/yellow tint)and it completely removes the horrible blown out/yellow skin tones from vivid mode, but the screen is still mostly quite vivid and saturated.

What I did was:
1. Set the phone into vivid, remove all the green on the white balance
2. Turn on eyecomfort and put the colour temperature all the way to the left
3. Turn on tritan (blue-yellow) colour adjustment (in visibility enhancements) to about 30%

You do lose a little of the maximum brightness but the phone looks way better this way.

It's bloody ridiculous that a ~£1100 flagship phone can't give you great looking skin tones, nice vivid colours and a cool-white "actually white" white balance at the same time but whatever.

Let me know if this helps you

AMRKHN
Pioneer
Options
This is absolute ridiculous.... can not belive it is happening on the s21u too.... Where the hell is the update? It has been like a year now and there has been no updates regarding this. Thanks a lot for the solution but messing around with the white balance has improved it a lot for me. let's all hope this so called update arrives soon. This is definitely my last Samsung phone.
0 Likes
P Note
First Poster
Options

I know I'm late to the party, but I bought a Note 20 Ultra at a great price as we're now up to S23, and I wanted a top end phone with an SD card to store my photos as I'm a keen photographer.  My previous phones were a Note 8 and 9, and as soon as I opened my photos I was disappointed by the contrast and the colours on the 20 Ultra.

I use Flickr, which tends to boost colours slightly compared to the original image, and I also use a PC with a calibrated monitor.  Images on the 20 Ultra definitely lack the good contrast and colours compared to my Notes 8 and 9.  The screen looks similar to the non Amoled screen on a friends A73.  Vivid mode and other adjustments do not help.  

I'll not be keeping the phone for long due to this issue, and as Samsung no longer have SD cards, I'll need to switch brands after years of Samsung use.

AMRKHN
Pioneer
Options
I eventually had a replacement with the note 20 ultra since it developed huge amount of dead pixels. My replacement phone s21 ultras screen was much better.
0 Likes